1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Another Rose problem?

Discussion in 'Roses' started by ThePlantAssassin, Aug 4, 2019.

1. ThePlantAssassin

ThePlantAssassin Gardener

NuttyFruitCake
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    Most of the leaves on my roses are looking like the photo. Is this another Rose related problem and if so what should I do about it. Just curious but why does it say everywhere not to plant a rose where there has been a rose before. Asking coz I want to discard one and move another into its place. 20190804_095634.jpg

2. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,876
    Hello @cindy my friend don't worry about the leaves on your Rose they are OK. Rose replant disease (sometimes called rose sickness) occurs when a new rose is bought to replace an old one and is planted in the same soil. It is generally considered that the cause is a combination of soil imbalance caused by the removal of trace elements from the soil by the old rose and a natural build-up within the soil of fungal root diseases and soil micro-pests, although rose replant disease is not perfectly understood.
    Ensure the planting hole is considerably wider and deeper than the spread of the roots – allowing 1” below the graft. In other words, if you put the rose in the hole, the roots do not touch the sides and the graft is at least an inch below the surrounding soil level. This is not how your rose will be planted, it is simply a measure of the size of the hole needed.
    Always use soil from another part of the garden or a bag of John Innes No 3 as this is sterilized and weed free. Never, never reuse the soil from the hole when replanting this or any other rose or any member of the rose family e.g. pyracantha, hawthorn, apples etc. It is best put on the compost heap where it will be rebalanced by the time you come to use it again in 12 months.backfill and then mulch with compost or well-rotted manure.water well straight away and then during the first spring and summer. Mulch with well-rotted compost every spring.:smile:

However @cindy some Rosarians use another method as I have done on several occasions,they dig a hole large enough to contain a good sized bio-degradable cardboard box. Place the cardboard box into the hole and plant your Rose within the box to the correct planting depth, filling it with entirely NEW soil or compost. By the time the bio-degradable box begins to break down the surrounding soil will have been given sufficient time to rest and the effects of rose replant sickness will be avoided.;):blue thumb:

Capture.JPG

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • ThePlantAssassin

ThePlantAssassin Gardener

NuttyFruitCake
      Ratings:
      +1,016
      • Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
        Ratings:
        +89,876
        Good morning @cindy my friend no worries you are most welcome:smile:

• Like Like x 1
        • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,289
          That's such a clever idea, had never heard of it before, thanks Wiseowl! :) Will definitely be doing this when I transplant my 'Fragrant Cloud' in Autumn.

Nick

• Like Like x 2
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
            +100,836
            upload_2019-8-4_14-10-12.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
              +2,830
              I absolutely agree with @Nikolaos , what an excellent idea. I'd never heard of that before and if the need ever arises, I will do that.

• Like Like x 3
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • lolimac

lolimac Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +4,988
                Cracking advice from our @wiseowl :love30:...It worked for me.:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Friendly Friendly x 1