1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Another Scam To Be Aware Of!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by shiney, Mar 1, 2016.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,460
    A report of this incident has been passed to the police and other agencies.

This is as it was reported to a Neighbourhood Watch Group and then passed around the country. If you receive any similar call you should report it to the police by dialling 101 or contact actionfraud.police.uk

Morning,

I wanted to make you aware of a scam that happened today to us we had a telephone call around 8am from BT Technical department who we have internet with who said whilst monitoring our account they had noticed that several hackers had been trying to access our account and that they needed to do some work on our account to sort this out. They asked if the internet had been slower recently, had we had or accessed any unusual emails etc. They then gave me a BT job number and said I should write it down along with the address and the persons name I was speaking to which I did. They then asked to remotely access our computer to rectify the faults which BT have done in the past (authentically). They accessed the account using’ Teamviewer’ which came up with a BT access name on my screen and a User number .

They then showed me a log of activity on our account and showed me where people had tried to access it supposedly. They used a password 12356 set for this account and an ID Number********* then another password ****** All seemed fine. They said that they would need to get rid of this hacking access info. and I could hear lots of other people in the call centre saying this is BT Technical Department on other calls to other customers. They said that as they were fixing the system they could see that the hackers were trying to stop them so I would need to turn off all other devices, ipads, phone etc. They then said I would be getting a message on my mobile with a code which I should give them and then delete it so that they could delete that hackers access which duly came up and I deleted. They then told me that as our access was not yet secure I would need to add further security software and that as I would have to pay for it I would need to go to the post office to pay. Then the penny dropped.!

I said I was going to the post office and they gave me an address in China to send the money to. I then immediately went to a friends house and called my bank and the police who are currently investigating all the information I have given them.

Whilst I was on the phone they had tried to take a payment of £201 to Western Union but our bank had picked it up and not let it go. So fortunately they did not get anything.

I am shocked at how convincing they were giving job numbers etc it was very controlled and sophisticated. They called at a time when I was busy with the kids and distracted etc.

• Informative Informative x 9
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,127
      They are very convincing, and if you just happen to be distracted at the time of the call then it's possible to fall for it I suppose.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
        Ratings:
        +7,624
        It is very easy to get pulled in by this type of call. I very nearly gave my bank security details to someone allegedly calling from my bank.

Luckily, I couldn't remember my password - I was so frustrated I challenged the caller to prove they were from my bank - they couldn't.

I would have told them if I could have remembered the password - so it was only my poor memory that saved my skin. Poor to the extent that I very rarely telephone my bank - which is why I couldn't remember. All my banking is conducted over the interweb.

• Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
          Ratings:
          +30,611
          They try those scams here. I always laugh at them and hang up. Or come up with ridiculous replies such as "I don't have a computer are you going to give me one?" Another one here is callers saying I urgently need to manage my credit card debt. I then go through a lot of baloney- giving them false information and then when it comes down to amounts, I tell them "well, no, I only have $10 outstanding right now"- they then hang up on Me!

It is a filthy business and the callers deserve to get ridiculed and abused.

• Agree Agree x 2
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +85,900
            If they ask for me by name I usually say, he's dead, they kind of hang up then.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
            • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
              +19,596
              If you look at any web server log, or corporate firewall log, you will see it full of records of failed hack attempts. No ISP would ever bother calling a customer about it. If they did, they'd have to call every customer about a dozen times a day.

Even if, by some bizarre twist of fate, the isp did phone, I'd NEVER give anyone remote control of any device in my care. I wouldn't trust them enough to know what they were doing and I'd want to know why they'd be willing to work on my machine for free when any corporate IT dept would charge a fortune and expect the machine to be built and configured to their standards.

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
              +100,836
              Does that mean the Police will get an all expenses paid trip to China while they try to apprehend the Scammers, Shiney??!!:scratch::doh::heehee:

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +118,460
              Of course. Aren't you pleased to know that your tax pounds are working for you? :th scifD36:

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
              +100,836
              Well, my coppers aren't shy on spending our tax money whilst still not getting more Officers on the Streets:doh:

• Agree Agree x 1