1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Another stupid thread

Discussion in 'The GC 'Buttery'' started by Jack McHammocklashing, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
    Ratings:
    +7,281
    I have asked many times for and idiots guide to gardening (I need it)

Not just how to start, Planting, growing harvesting, but what to do next
    ie:- you plant beetroot seeds, they grow, and depending how far apart how big they become
    When do you harvest them ?
    Then what do you do ?
    Do you pull them up and boil them as is, How long?
    Do you cut the tops off first ?
    Do you boil them THEN skin them
    Do you then eat or do you have to pickle them first and for how long in what ?
    Do you cook them at all ?

Help

I am looking for an idiots guide to vegetables from start to finish, I could make a fortune with a book based on this, as there are more people like me, than there are real gardeners
    Most books tell you how to grow them, then you have to find a cook book how to use them, But nothing between growing and eating

2. NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
    Ratings:
    +21,243
    @Jack McHammocklashing
    Beetroot: Pull up and cut off leaves and root, wash, cut up into pieces and boil until soft then serve with white sauce. That is the basic approach. Leave in larger pieces and slice after cooking cover with vinegar and have cold with salad. You can peel them but I cook and skin them as the skin comes off easily after cooking.
    I pressure cook mine as they can take a long time to boil. small take about 10 to 15 minutes, check pressure cooker manual for details.
    You can cook the tops see here for info http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/beetroot.115340/#post-1038328
    They are a fairly hardy vegetable and will stand over winter, they can get the size of your head but become rather woody. I always have too many. You can use them from about golf ball size, used to be tennis ball. I use them in vegetable stews over winter, you can also roast them, do parboil; chips, crisps, soup hot and cold.
    As for a book from seed to plate I have this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-B...he+complete+book+of+vegetable+herbs+and+fruit

• Useful Useful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      You can top and tail them, leave the skins on and throw em in with your roast tatties too :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • burnie

burnie Super Gardener

Retired engineer
        Ratings:
        +3,966
        If you plan to store beets, the guide is to twist the tops off, leaving an inch or two, if you cut them with a knife, they "bleed" everywhere, not a problem if you cook them straight away.

• Like Like x 1
        • Useful Useful x 1
        • Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
          Ratings:
          +12,508
          • Useful Useful x 1
          • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
            Ratings:
            +30,605
            I cut off the tops and bottoms, put in the pressure cooker and cook about 12 minutes. Peel and slice for pickling, or eat them after cooked and peeled. All by myself - love beets :)

• Like Like x 1
            • Useful Useful x 1
            • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
              +8,083
              nIf you like the likes of Spinach then don't throw the leaves away. Compost the really old tatty outside ones but eat the better/newer ones. Wash then chop up the leaves, hurl some garlic (if liked) in a flying pan or similar, fry garlic gently , not too much heat or you'll burn the Garlic ...YUK! for about couple of minutes them add shredded leaves. Cook on medium heat for about 6 mins until the pile of leaves has reduced A LOT, If the leaves are still wet from washing you shouldn't need to add any extra water, if dry then add a couple of table spoons of water when cooking the leaves so you are sort of braising the leaves, You can use 1/2 butter, 1/2 oil if you prefer. Season with bit of pepper and touch of salt....bingo. I quite like this but not a huge fan of Spinach or Swiss Shard either, however husband loves it. I like the Beetroot but he likes both. Did mention in another thread that originally Beetroot was actually grown for it's leaves not it's root surprisingly enough. Agree with others re cooking roots. I leave about 2 ins of stalk on.Leave skin on, boil until tenderish (about 15-20 mins depending on size) I lift mine when they are a good bit smaller than a tennis ball. Bigger they can get woody. Once easily stabbed with a fork I then let them cool for a while but peel while still warm. The skins just slide off no bother, Can then pickle in vinegar, I use balsamic yum yum or reheat with white sauce. Can freeze raw. and also cut in 1/2 raw and cooked round the likes of a roast chicken a la Parsnips.

• Like Like x 1
              • Useful Useful x 1
              • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                Ratings:
                +85,599
                I usually twist the tops off, dont know why, its traditional,:snork: and supposed to stop them bleeding during cooking.
                I just boil them whole for how long it takes for them to get soft, older ones late in the season take a fair bit longer.

Once boiled put them in cold water and just rub the skins off.

I only like beets fresh, once you put vinegar on it you might aswell go out a buy a jar, its so much easier, and tastes the same.

• Like Like x 1
                • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
                  Ratings:
                  +7,281
                  Thank you everyone for the help, much appreciated

Regards Jack McH

• Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +9,233
                  ...and finally, as your crop of beet are growing, snap a few of the young tender leaves out, and add to your salad as raw leaves...yumsk!