1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Antivirus 2009 Beware

Discussion in 'Computer Corner' started by wiseowl, Jul 24, 2008.

1. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,818
    I EVERYONE I HAVE JUST BEEN INFECTED WITH YET ANOTHER TROJAN OR MY INTERNET EXPLORER HAS :DITS NAME ISANTIVIRUS 2009 IT PRESENTS ITS SELF AS A GENUINE MICROSOFT DOWNLOAD,EVEN WHEN YOU CLICK ON THE NO ICON IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE IT WILL STILL DOWNLOAD SO PLEASE DO NOT CLICK ON EITHER ICON(YES OR KNOW) I HAVE TRIED TO UNINSTALL IT BUT TO NO AVAIL IT TAKES OVER YOUR BROWSER AND JUST REDIRECTS YOUR SEARCHES,IT,S A RELATIVLY NEW THREAT,I HAVE NOW DOWNLOADED ANOTHER SEARCH ENGINE WHICH IS FINE BUT I DID GET USED TO I.EXPLORER BUT IT IS STILL ON THERE.IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME I WOULD BE ETERNALLY GRATEFULL.I HAVE KASPERSKY ANTIVIRUS AND WINDOWS DEFENDER.THANK YOU WOO

2. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    I think I can lead the way and say many thanks for the info and the very best of luck of ridding the beast from your PC
    Capney

3. Moonshine17c

Moonshine17c Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Woo. I have seen something similar on someones pc at work and sorted. I take it the name of the web page is antivirus 2009. I would say to download 'Spybot search and destroy'. Run a scan on your system with Spybot, you will probably find a few Trojans in there. Spybot should remove them. The system I had only reported 1 trojan (using Symantec AV) and displayed same page you were getting but when I ran Spybot there were a lot more.
    If the AV2009 is what I am thinking of it will download other trojans onto your system.

Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.6.0
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html

4. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,595
    It sounds like one of the new(ish) wave of viruses that have a kind of double action. Once your machine is infected, it goes something like this:

1. Change your settings so that every time you start Internet Explorer, it goes to a page that automatically downloads the virus.
    2. Do whatever its main function is.

So you run your anti-virus tool and find and kill the virus. Great, until next time you start Internet Explorer and it just gets downloaded again.

For people that are reasonably comfortable with computers, there is a tool to fix this kind of thing called "HijackThis" (get it from a reputable download site as there is a dodgey namesake at large).

A better option is to never use Internet Explorer and all its evil vulnerabilities, and use FireFox instead. It does everything Internet Explorer does but safer, in that it won't run hidden code on a web page (ActiveX - a useful idea but sadly occassionaly misused for malicious purposes).

Firefox can be downloaded from its official site, here:
    http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/

5. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,818
    Many thanks Clue and Moonshine The only problem i have is i cannot get onto the mozilla or any site because it keeps redirecting the browser back to its self.I will try and email a link from my Laptop to the P.C.:thumb::)

6. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,595
    Or,
    1. download what you need to your laptop
    2. Save the files onto either a blank CD or a USB memory stick
    3. Boot your other computer in safe mode (press F8 will booting to get the boot menu on)
    4. Install the files from the CD/USB stick

Then of course..

5. Run a full virus scan.

7. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :eek::( Woo...! Not another...!!! I think I would go with your lap & email the link then follow clueless's steps....:thumb:

:thumb: I never ever use internet explorer for the very reason that it lets trojens & other awful stuff in.. Also download Spybot here is a link for it
    http://www.download.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy/3000-8022_4-10122137.html

I would also get yourself Zone Alarm It is free too
    http://www.download.com/ZoneAlarm-Firewall-Windows-2000-XP-/3000-10435_4-10039884.html

Both these are very very good..

:thumb: Good Luck let us know how you get on....:thumb:

8. wiseowl

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,818
    Hi Clue and Marley many thanks for that I will take your advice.:thumb::) Have tried the emailing Link but my PC won,t allow me to open any links.:cool::)

9. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,384
    I'm with BT internet and they provide me with their own browser. I have never had any problems but does anyone know of any problems with their browser? They also provide me with Norton Spyware Scan. Is that any good?

Woo, good luck with sorting your computer out. :)

10. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Woo,Mr Kandy sent you some info after me reading the above that you had written.?Not sure if any of it is any good to you.Good Luck and I do hope thta you get it sorted soon:thumb:

Shiney,sorry missed you bit.Don't know a lot about these things perhaps one of the more knowledgeable people on here will be able to help you out.We use Internet Explorer and only had a virus try to come in a couple of times but AVG stepped in and sorted it out which it is supposed to do:thumb:

11. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    :thumb: Woo.. Good Luck sorting it out mate... Maybe when you are sorted & all your new spyware loaded....;):D Load the Mozilla Firefox program as well & then use that & leave internet explorer alone....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(:(:thumb::D IE really is awful Woo, it is dreadful for bringing in virus's & malware that will, as you know, do you damage on your machine.... :mad:

:thumb: Shiney I don't use BT, but have friends that do & they have had no problems either... My personal opinion of Norton is, that it is not as good as allot of others now.. I also use Avast.. At the moment they have a special offer on... Have a look here..
    http://avast.s0ftware-uk.com/?s=gouk&a=avastuk&gclid=CMLFl7uz2pQCFQ5NQwodETV1lg

& have found this to be very good.!;):D

12. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,384
    Thanks Marley :thumb: :).

I also use AVG (which I understand is similar to Avast) and Zone Alarm. Everyone seems to think that these are good. :D

13. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Marley we have no problems with Internet Explorer apart from two virus's that was sent to us by someone who had them which they picked up somewhere.One was a Trojen and the other was a piggy back Trojen and AVG zapped them straight away.:)

Shiney we are with BT and are happy with it.I think Mr Kandy was saying last night that Zone Alarm is rubbish but that is his thoughts on it:rolleyes::D

14. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    :thumb::thumb: Gosh yes shiney.. I also run both of those as well... I am spywared up to the gunnel's after some pretty bad experiences years ago..!! I try & keep on top of it all on a regular basis... ;) Like... Daily..!! I am gripping the desk here..:D Touch wood all has been fine....:thumb::D

:D Kandy I think it all comes down to personal choice.. Also how much time is spent on the Internet & the sorts of sites you visit.. I visit allot of American & foreign sites & you certainly need all the spyware you can get when doing that.. I use my PC at home for work too...;);):D So to me Zone alarm is actually very good.. It won't let anything much in without asking you first, also if anything changes it askes you first before allowing it in...!!!! Used in conjunction with everything else I have I wouldn't be without it...;):D But, as I say, Kandy, I think it depends how much your computer is on line & where you go...!!!!!;):D

15. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,384
    Marley, there's no reason why you shouldn't be careful. After all, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean to say that they aren't out to get you :D :D :D.

Kandy, Zone Alarm got top rating by Computer Which? and other people have recommended it. :)