1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

ANTS ANTS and more ANTS

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by ThePlantAssassin, Aug 24, 2019.

1. ThePlantAssassin

ThePlantAssassin Gardener

NuttyFruitCake
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    Everywhere i dig or plant and i really do mean everywhere there are masses of ants both black and red and often a big one with wings. How do I deal with this as can't use the boiling water trick as the plants may object. Was wondering if it was contibuting to my ongoing woes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      Ants are everywhere Cindy...nothing to do with anything you have done :)
      Our excellent summer has prob encouraged them too :)

You will see them more now because they are at their flying stage soon to disappear. I’m guessing where you dig the soil is dry..?? Ants love dry warm soil.

Where they are clearly bothering certain plants I will water a little more and that seems to work. Around the house etc I spray. However, If they aren’t bothering you just leave them be

On the way to the beach we are starting to see birds swarming over flying ants....quite a sight :)

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • ThePlantAssassin

ThePlantAssassin Gardener

NuttyFruitCake
        Ratings:
        +1,016
        Just not keen on creepy crawlies but if they aren't doing damage I shan't worry about them. And yes the soil is dry. I think I'm guilty of not deep watering which I guess has also contributed to the mildew issues.

• Like Like x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,724
          Creepy crawlies are part of gardening, I think we all have ones we dislike, but ants do no real damage to the plants intentionally.

They loosen the soil around roots, and they "farm" aphids, but they do not attack plants in general.

I doubt whatever you used in the garden would actually wipe them out, its better to just live with them.:smile:

• Agree Agree x 3