1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Ants in greenhouse

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by dalbuie, Jun 5, 2005.

1. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I noticed a few days ago a few ants on the floor of my greenhouse, now there seems to be rather a lot I think they have made a nest under the grow bags which have my toms in they are not on the plants but I'm not sure for how much longer maybe when the fruit appears? The greenhouse is slabed inside they seem to be comming from in between.I have put down ant traps but they don't seem to be working, does anyone have any other ideas? :(

2. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    They won't harm your toms, they only go up plants to get to aphids

other than taking the slabs up which makes a big job of it...try pouring boiling water into the gaps they are coming from

Also Nipon ant killer is a sweet sugary substance that they take back to the nest and feed on which is supposed to kill them all (but its never seemed that effective to me)

3. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks, is the Nipon the same chemical that is used in the small ant traps? if it is it doesn't seem to be working for me either, I think the theory is the same they are supposed go into the trap get coated in the stuff (somehow) and thentake it back to the nest.

4. Tishame

Tishame Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, we tried traps when we were overun by ants last summer but they werent very effective. What we did find to work was an ant powder (sorry cant rem the name) but it sprayed like talc. Run it over the gaps in the slabs and when the ants pass through it sticks to them. We had 6-8 different collonies (1000s of the damn things !!!) and the whole lot vanished in under 2 days ! Best of luck. :D

5. Hannah

Hannah Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ant traps have always worked for me, the bait jobs, I think it was Nippon... but yeah, we have got rid of an infestation within 48 hours in the house every time we use them. I heard they work how you put it Steve.