1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

any danger in planting privacy hedges next to my house?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by keithhampson, Apr 2, 2012.

1. keithhampson

keithhampson Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, i am wanting to plant next to my house but I'm worried about the roots damaging my house, I wa thinking along the planting Conifers, privit or maybe holly, are these likely cause damage to my property if planted next to it?

Keith

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,541
    Conifers as far as I'm concerned are a definite no,no! I've had foundations and drains damaged by them. Their roots spread a considerable distance looking for water. I'm not sure about the others. How near to your house are you thinking of planting?

3. keithhampson

keithhampson Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I was planning for about 1 to 2 feet away from our property, I live in a semi detached house, the fence down the centre is only 4 foot high and neighbors keep poking there head over, the can even look into my living room, its there fence and can't afford to start replacing it even if it was mine, the only other thing I can think of is growing something in containers to block there view?

Keith

4. gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
    +1,663
    What about a reed Screen. It's purchased in rolls and not too pricey. You can even mount it up poles to give added height and then grow plants up from the ground to fill the gap below

• Like Like x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,541
      Following what gcc has said.....

I think any shrubs that close are going to be risky. Could you afford to mount trellis on top of it, or attach a larger trellis to your side of the fence and then grow climbers up it. :)

• merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,087
      You could put some evergreen shrubs in containers down that side which would grow to a suitable height but which could be moved if required ...

[​IMG]

I've put some along the side of my drive as our lawns are raised so they can see in my kitchen. They should be high enough this year to reach the top of the fence. I'm going to put a couple of Photinias there as well, to add more colour, but I've now got some other smaller planters in front which gives a bit more interest, including some climbers in containera with obelisks to climb over.

If you are clever at making things, you could make some large troughs and go for this sort of effect ...

[​IMG]

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      Climbers on a trellis?

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,309
      Keith, a photo of the fence in relation to your house would be of help as what you can grow successfully would also be determined by the amount of light and soil. Also, putting it only 1ft - 2ft away from your property will cut out your light.

• keithhampson

keithhampson Gardener

Ratings:
      +3
      This is the area I'm talking about

[​IMG]

Keith

• gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
      +1,663
      All you need is a small piece of screen and 2 posts, as suggested before.
      Something like an Evergreen Clematis grown up the screen would do the job quickly enough.

• Like Like x 1
      • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,667
        Ah - its going away from the house? In that cases planting a hedge with one "end" right up to the house would be fine IMHO, but I would still avoid things with vicious roots. Privet would do there. But any hedge is going to take 3 - 5 years to get up to a decent height (although you can buy large plants, which is obviously quicker, but they tend to be expensive - perhaps £50 each :(

If you are in the money a Pleached tree - Lime or Hornbeam - would look good there and make a brilliant screen. Neither cheap nor evergreen (although you could probably get a pleached evergreen tree)

Photos of Pleached Trees as a screen in this thread:

http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/...ng-out-overlooking-windows.31156/#post-412877

• Like Like x 2
        • merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,087
          I'd be tempted to put some tall trellis up with an evergreen climber such as Lonicera henryii or Clematis armandii, maybe with another Clematis so that you have a longer flowering period. Then at the bottom something like dwarf Rhododendrons, Box or some perennials to fill it out a bit :)

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,309
          I'd go with a trellis. Our local fencing firm does a 6ft x 6ft trellis plus posts for around £20-£25. you could then grow things up it to give you privacy and colour and still have room at the bottom for other plants.

• DazGosling

DazGosling Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +0
          We have a conifer witch is about 3ft from my front door witch has grown 7ft
          but now looking at your posts ill have to move it can u give me any idea on how deep the roots will be and how far it will have already spread out also will it survive being moved.

• pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
          "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
          Ratings:
          +4,445
          I would go with the reed screening ,you would only need one ,till you can get something to grow there ,as you say gap annoyingly close to your window :hate-shocked: