Any dishwasher gurus in?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +48,857
    We have a Bosch SMS50E06UK dishwasher, which has decided to become increasingly temperamental - currently, the workaround is to switch off at the mains plug until it plays nicely, but I have this sinking feeling that the day is coming when this won't work any more.

The symptoms have me puzzled:

Initially (about six weeks ago) it decided of its own accord to 'stick' on the 'EcoDaily' program, but would not start to actually wash any dishes; Mains cycled, it then decided it would start, but still not on the desired program so I reset it (hold down the start button for 3 secs); Power button was inoperative, despite no program running, so a further few tries at cycling the mains eventually restored normality.

The normality was short lived, but the symptoms are different now; it will switch on from its power switch, allow program to be selected and then run perfectly when the start button is pressed. At the end of the cycle, if you press the power button it will switch off, 9 times out of 10 it will switch off fine and will then be OK from powering on the next time. On the odd time, it won't switch off, requiring it being switched off at the wall for a couple of mins which seems to reset it.

If, however, it reaches the end of the cycle and we open the door without switching off (so to unload, reload and do another cycle for example) - we can't then start the next cycle (although the timer does reset, so it 'knows' that the door has been opened), as it seems to ignore the start button and the power button is also inoperative; again, switching off at the wall is the only solution to this.

Switching off and back on at the wall is a real pain in the neck as its plugged into a hidden socket which can only be reached by stretching through a cupboard full of glasses etc. That coupled with the fact that it seems to be becoming a more frequent occurrence is spurring me to try and fix it before it lets us down all together.

I initially thought it was a duff power switch, but that can't be the case as the program selectors also freeze, so now I am wondering if its the main control panel?

2. Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
    Ratings:
    +31,463
    FC check bosch's website, a few year's back i think a few dishwasher had problems, can't remember which model but look in the list to see if you have one with your serial no

• Like Like x 1
    • Fat Controller

Public Transport
      Ratings:
      +48,857
      Not our model - ours was purchased in 2008, so isn't one of those affected.

• Like Like x 1
      • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +23,089
        If it's not sorted out soon tell her you'll confiscate the credit cards;)

Sorry - wasn't much help was it!

• Like Like x 1
        • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
          +28,996
          For household budgeting purposes (and experience) we assume a dishwasher will last between 5 & 10 years and have never bought an extended warranty, so would speak to a repair person, but be prepared to buy a new one in the sales.

You can get a brand new Bosch SMS53A12GB Dishwasher reduced from £499 to only £299 at John Lewis complete with a 2 year warranty http://www.johnlewis.com/bosch-sms5...3_1388601276_87237ce5db61cef3f8de9a177dffdc5f

P.S. £429 at Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-SMS53A12GB-Dishwasher-programmes-Varioflex/dp/B0089W3D7I

• Like Like x 1
          • Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +48,857
            I don't do extended warranties either, mainly because I am reasonably proficient at repairing stuff.

Going to get the tools out tomorrow and see if I can be a bit more scientific about diagnosis

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +23,089
            It's of an age now where some spares need programming in believe it or not! My fridge (under warranty) needed parts programming in after the repair.

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +48,857
            I can believe it John - an unprogrammed control panel is 120, a programmed one is 150; good a machine as it is, at that rate I will run it til it dies completely and replace it

Thing is, it might only want a 15 part, and I hate scrapping stuff for no real reason

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +23,089
            Plus the cost of someone coming out to program it to the machine - not far off £250 in total by then I wouldn't be surprised.

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
            Ratings:
            +7,278
            Faulty Dishwasher
            I reckon the start sw on the machine, is sticking open/closed consequently not in sequence with the cycle
            Now it depends on the type or style of the switch, is it a large one, or is it a micro switch mounted within a panel of switches like an ATM Keypad ?

Large sw would be easy, clean or replace quite possible
            Keypad err not so easy, but I have known a little heat on the raised blimp (from a hair dryer) can soften up the facia enough to free the sw

Good luck

Jack McH

• Informative Informative x 1
            • Useful Useful x 1
            • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              I put a "wanted" on Freecycle & got a free dishwasher for Sis in 2 days :)

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +52,311
              I think you'll find it's brains have had it FC. I had similar symptoms with a washing machine some years ago. The price of replacing the control panel is expensive and it would probably pay you to replace the machine while the sales are on in the long run.

• Agree Agree x 1
              • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                Ratings:
                +48,857
                Symptoms have changed again! Its just finished a cycle, so the timer is down to zero - won't switch off, won't allow any different programs to be selected, and even opening the door makes no odds (timer still reads zero instead of resetting to the start of cycle time, so its as though it doesn't know that the door has been opened).

I've left it on in 'fault' state for now, while I try and work it out, because I just know that if I kill the mains, I will be able to reload it, switch it on, and away it will go.

@Jack McHammocklashing - Power switch is a separate switch only £15 odds, and should be dead easy to replace. BUT, if I power the unit off at the mains and then back on, this switch that is not currently working will work perfectly well - that kinda makes me think that its not a physical fault with the switch, but more a logic fault?

The Start button is part of the central control panel - no option to get at it and clean, or replace a single switch; as mentioned above, the control panel is £150 for the programmed one.
                Given that I have found a Bosch dishwasher on AO for £280, delivered on Saturday if I so choose, you will understand my reluctance to spend £150 on a scatter-gun approach to a repair.

• Like Like x 1
                • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  Have you got a sink?

• Funny Funny x 4
                  • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
                    Ratings:
                    +3,035
                    Got to agree about the logic fault FC. Our washer failed last Christmas - it was the heating element in our case, but after pricing the part and then looking at what was involved in removing/replacing - it would require a more or less complete strip down, and reckoning it would take me best part of 4 or 5 hours (assuming things went to plan) I decided life's too short and bough a new machine.
                    Our washing machine packed in three weeks later!!!!