1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Any Genealogists?

Discussion in 'Members Hobbies' started by PaulD, May 20, 2007.

1. PaulD

PaulD Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Evening All

One of my other passions is Genealogy and I have been tracing my Family History for a few years.

We have got back to about 1140 so far (not just before midday!)and have found some interesting facts along the way!

Any other genealogists?

Take care

Paul

2. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,868
    Hi Paul well I have got back to1712 ,but I got stuck on my Great grandfather who was cared for by just his mother and he took her name I sent off for his Birth certificate but on was Father unknown also got his marriage certificate but no father again on that.So I have concentrated on all the other branches of the family but its frustrating having a wall put in front of you so early on(1839).

3. PaulD

PaulD Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

It can be very frustrating when you get a wall so early on can't it. We have a number of massive brickwalls but have also been fortunate that my main family has been well researched because of the connections with a little ship that went over the pond.

I have found some amazing stories and have been humbled by many of the things I have discovered. It's also great to have a sense of your family story.

As with any of the things I get interested in I have a number of websites LOL - in fact Genealogy was how I first got into running websites.

Take care

Paul

4. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I agree Genealogy is fascinating - the downside is burnt dinners, when you start some research and get too involved :D . But it great fun seeing what your ancestors got up to.

I was rather dreading trying to research one line, that was in Sri Lanka - but when I got to it - I found an australian link had done all the work for me complete with sources and stories - wonderful.

5. windy miller

windy miller Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've only got back to 1809 on my Dads side and then it hits a brick wall, with no father named and no further trace of his Mother :mad: But I've been a tad more successful on my Mums side, reaching the 1600s so far. Unfortunately, it seems to have taken a bit of a back seat in favour of gardening lately!! But they're not going anywhere so I can pick up where I left off at a later date :D
    I've found bigamists, war heroes,drunks,bobbies,and lots of adultery. Who said disfunctional families was a recent trend???? :D :D

6. fred1935

fred1935 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I too have been dabbling in my family history.
    I found out why my fathers family were never talked about.
    Grandad was born out of wedlock, kept his mothers maiden name when she married.
    He was a seaman but seems to have died in a workhouse infimary aged 58, I hope to find out what then happened to grandmother.
    There is also a great Aunt(?)unmarried who had two children (one in the workhouse) and died at a young age in the workhouse, one of the children also died in there aged 8.
    I am back to the 1700's on three tracks but lack any stories, only what I remember talked about years and years ago.

:rolleyes:

7. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,868
    I to have unearthed some Rascals :D Two great Uncles deported to Australia Pity they don't do It now [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have been searching for my grandmothers birth certificate and any info on her parents for just over a year now. It seems she might have been born in India, I even went as far as hiring a profesional over in India to try but nothing. :( I have given it a rest for now over the summer, it can be very frustrating and I also believe it can be very rewarding. Havn't got to that bit yet.

9. PaulD

PaulD Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Morning All

Great to see that so many people share the interest in Genealogy [​IMG]

I must admit we tend to ease off during the summer and I think we are not alone. It seems like poring over records is definitely something for the dark winter months.

Take care

Paul

10. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Had my mtDNA checked by Oxford Ancestors. Originally come from an area between the Med and the Pyrenees, 20000 yrs ago. The clan mother was called Helena. Anyone go back further than that? :D

11. Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
    Ratings:
    +770
    Mother in law asked me to trace her family and this was what I managed to find!!.. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and the resemblance is uncanny!....... :D

12. Dorsetmike

Dorsetmike Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    One assumes MIL is not a member of this site Pal, else you are in dead shtook.

We got back to about 1830 on my father's side of the family in Staffordshire, mothers family only to about 1860s, must have another bash next winter.
    Joyce has a bit of a problem being adopted, and trying to follow both natural and adoptive parents.

13. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    I haven't started seriously on my family's history, but my Dad and his sister have passed me the fruits of their labours, and a great-uncle on my mother's side had done a fair bit too, and we have some family bibles.

I don't know of any actual scandals, but there is the family confusion of one bloke marrying the eldest sister in the family, and when widowed, marrying one of her youngest sisters..... with such an age difference, it's like different generations!

Oh, and one Aunt was Graham..... and one Aunt was a Husband :D

14. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Got firm links to 1789, then an ancestor's 'will' or record of goods and chattels dated 1670 then some missing links until 1520. I've discovered that our forebears originated from William 1st Duke of Normandy with a good few illegitimate offspring en-route. Not to mention one very naughty chap who lost his head in 1536 due to becoming 'too friendly' with Anne Boleyn.
    And on a more recent note, I've 'found' a cousin I hadn't been in contact with for over 40 years :D
    Still digging, but it takes an awful lot of time.

15. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I just been a bit gobsmacked in respect of my findings on research.

I diligently checked down the paternal paternal,(my grandfather) line, and twasn't long before I found the line firmly bedded in to farming roots in Chedzoy Somerset. Before exploring all the other branches and twigs of this line, I decided to take a look at the paternal maternal (my grandmother) line. My Gran and Grandpa met and married in Waltham Cross. Hower I was amazed to discover that though both of my Gran's parents were from Wales, tracing the line back both were from Somerset - all in the same general area.

Kinda gives the saying its a "small world" - a whole new meaning :D :D