1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Any idea what is happening?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Snorky85, May 26, 2019.

1. Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
    Ratings:
    +10,974
    Hello,

Earlier in the year I planted about 15 Portuguese Laurel to create a hedge. I've noticed a few odd looking leaves. Any ideas what it is? A disease? Fungus? Too hot/too dry? Insects?

IMG_0956.JPG IMG_0957.JPG IMG_0954.JPG IMG_0955.JPG

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Don't know about the leaf with brown patches, but I think you might have an infestation of Vine Weevils eating the leaves and worth checking for them.

3. Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
    Ratings:
    +10,974
    thanks @Scrungee Bloody vine weevils. I'll check for them today too. I have just been out there pruning the lower branches off the hedging as I want them to grow at a height above the wall (raising the skirt?! I think that is the term that is used?!). Whilst out there I found a damn caterpillar! A spikey fluffy caterpillar. Some of the hedging near here has been suffering with those damn things so I wonder if it is to do with that. Last week I found some of them in my amelanchier and quickly removed them (two huge clumps of about 20 caterpillars) I had to send them to caterpillar heaven.

And....just came inside and caught on tv (This Morning) that there is a really bad caterpillar attack ruining hedging etc etc. I wonder if it is that!!!

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    @Snorky85 I think it looks like a combination of very common leaf spot diseases and winter damage plus it has been a very dry winter and Laurels like to be a bit moist if possible in at least 1st year.. Just cut the brown tinged leaves off and dispose of them..

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,384
      Tut tut, Snorky :nonofinger: You can't go round condemning Nature's wonderful biodiversity like that :whistle: On the other hand, if you've got problems with caterpillars of any variety, there is still one product available to home gardeners that actually works...both as prevention and cure. It's sold as a treatment for Box moth and Pine processionary caterpillars. The active 'ingredient' is a bacteria (Bacillus thuringiensis) that just targets caterpillars but is harmless to other creatures :phew: As long as you don't get torrential rain shortly after spraying, it's very effective.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
        Ratings:
        +10,974
        Don't worry @noisette47 I didn't actually kill the caterpillars...they were put into caterpillar heaven literally - at the bottom of my garden waste bin which is full of cuttings and leaves - they will have a great time until it is collected on Tuesday. :heehee: I will definitely look up that spray. I've tried not to use any chemicals on my plants this year. I've sene so many birds eating the aphids on the roses etc. When the aphids got a little too much I used foamed up washing up liquid and it has worked a treat.

Thanks @Marley Farley I have removed all the bad leaves now. I think they had got a bit dry and maybe had been caught when it was frosty last!? They are new plants that had come from a local nursery and were kept in polytunnels.

I am making sure I keep them watered - I think they must have got a bit dry when we were on holiday.

• Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
        +7,683
        Nice approach to the caterpillars @Snorky85 , hopefully they'll have a feast in the bin and get dumped in a good environment for them :) I totally agree with your policy with chemicals. Softer approach will not clean everything out, but will give the plants an advantage and not harm the beneficial (from a gardener's point of view) ones. Fairy washing up liquid is my trusted remedy as well. Nematodes are brilliant but an expensive solution, the Vine Weevil ones are a must have for anyone with containers.

I'm not so sure about lifting my skirts in the garden though but I'll give it a try. ;)

• Like Like x 1
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
          Ratings:
          +14,125
          I reckon they had a bit of a shock from the poly tunnel to garden and then got a bot dry as you said. Water when dry this year and hopefully they will get their roots down deep enough that they will be ok then..

• Like Like x 1
          • mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
            +3,718
            Well this old fella remembers the joys of youth :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
            +7,683
            Pleasuring hairy caterpillars? Naughty naughty :heehee: (In the old sense of the word pleasuring! :sofa: )

• Funny Funny x 2