1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Any idea why?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sandy Ground, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
    Ratings:
    +5,368
    A friend of mine has asked me to answer this, but I cant. Can anyone explain what has happened?

...last September we moved a few plants around, some were getting too big. We relocated a couple of camelias, always a risk, neither of them seemed to be doing particularly well. Now one seems to have recovered but the other one's leaves have turned yellow, and the flowers which used to be pink are now scarlet....

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,046
    Pure guess, it could be an alkaline soil causing the yellowing leaves and possibly the flowers colour changes, similar to how hydrangea flowers are different colours depending on soil pH.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,310
      Although I don't really know, @JWK seems to have made a good guess. Camellias prefer slightly acidic soil so a different part of the garden can make that slight difference.

We have very slightly alkaline soil but very successfully have planted them closer to a laurel hedge as laurel adds a touch of acidity to the soil.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • luis_pr

luis_pr Gardener

Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas, USA; USDA Zone 7b/8a
        Ratings:
        +125
        Not all camellias are pH sensitive but here is another japonica that is: Doña Herzilia de Freitas Magalhaes is an evergreen japonica camellia with semi-double to anemone form blooms that are bright coral pink initially, and gradually fade to shades of violet as they age; its flowers are sensitive to the soil pH. Named for the wife of Freitas Magalhaes, a descendant of the explorer Magellan.

Pink color:
        http://ketenewplymouth.peoplesnetwo..._Herzilia_de_Freitas_Magalhaes_.-001.-002.JPG

Violet:
        https://i.pinimg.com/originals/bd/60/d8/bd60d877b9973259b9cb6dcce7c54bba.jpg

Darker violet:
        http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YVQvtCXVPHk/TwWk7yxkKkI/AAAAAAAACqo/05Px96gdSnc/s1600/043+CJ+Herz%C3%ADlia+de+Freitas+Magalh%C3%A3es+-+768.jpg

• Informative Informative x 4
          Last edited: Jun 2, 2021