1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solved Any ideas what this is??

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by barryman, Dec 23, 2018.

1. barryman

barryman Gardener

Ratings:
    +30
    I've had this on my windowsill for a year and have lost the ID tag that went with it so I have no idea what is is or how to look after it. All I do is water it but it seems to be getting a bit leggy so I need to know what it is/what to do ?

Also, slightly off-topic but someone will surely know, can I grow a fragrant climbing rose successfully in a 40 cm wide tub ? The location would be north-east facing and under a canopy so I presume i'd have to water manually every few days? Any suggestions of varieties that might be ok?

Many thanks BM-20181223_142254.jpg

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,740
    Hi, it looks like a leggy Kalanchoe to me. Are those buds? Has it bloomed before and, if so, what colour?

Sorry, can't advise you on the rose.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,725
      I think you need to put the rose question in a separate post to get the best results from all members.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
        Ratings:
        +28,418
        You can cut Kalanchoe back but yours looks a little too old and leggy to do that and would not make a particularly attractive plant although it may be the only solution other than just leaving it.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,725
        Would you suggest cutting it back now though Strongy?, it appears to have flower buds forming.:smile:

I've bought those small flowering Kalanchoe plants before, grown them on for a second year, the plant habit always changes after year one I find, wondering if they are treated with a growth hormone in year one.

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +23,089
        It certainly looks like a leggy Kalanchoe blossfeldiana (or hybrid thereof) but they are forced to bloom by the growers and are not naturaly that low growing.
        In the bottom left of the photo it looks like it is making roots, If it were mine I would cut it of below them and also cut it above the leaf node where it appears to be branching. Let the cuttings dry for a few days then pot them up in a gritty mix.
        My gut feeling is that is being grown too warm for the available daylight. Coming from Madagascar it is used to about twelve hours of daylight pretty much all year. Do you have a cooler spot to keep it over the darkest winter hours?

It should be noted that there are other species with similar leaves - where did you buy it?

• Like Like x 1
        • barryman

barryman Gardener

Ratings:
          +30
          It was given to me ages ago. I think I've got nothing to lose by cutting it right back as otherwise I'll be throwing it out as it's too leggy. I'll try cuttings from what I might cut off.

Thanks for all advice.

• Friendly Friendly x 1