1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solved Any ideas what this shrub is?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Steve boyce, Jun 3, 2018.

1. Steve boyce

Steve boyce Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    708DE043-D5AC-45CF-B8B8-7C01365EEE7B.jpeg 6AFF33B5-BA96-4716-9EEF-259CE02B0BF6.jpeg

I’d like to know how to trim it too? Electric trimmers would be my choice but I’m probably wrong?

My first post, be gentle with me :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Silver surfer

Silver surfer PLANTAHOLIC

Semi retired amateur plantaholic gardener
      Ratings:
      +3,254
      Welcome to the forums.
      It may be Cotoneaster hybridus pendulus.

Cotoneaster Hybridus Pendulus - Cotoneaster Tree

Please wait..it should produce flowers very soon ....then in winter will have the red berries..
      If you just hack it you could well lose the flowers...therefore no red berries.

Quote RHS....."'Hybridus Pendulus' is a vigorous prostrate evergreen shrub with large, elliptic leaves and small white flowers followed by profuse red berries in autumn; often top-grafted to form a pendulous small tree to 2m tall"

• Like Like x 2
      • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
        Ratings:
        +5,404
        Welcome to the forum @Steve boyce . Of course you`re wrong - you are a man :heehee:
        This isn`t the right time to be trimming shrubs - especially if you don`t know what they are.
        If this is a new garden to you, my advice would be to leave well alone for 12 months, just to find out what you have, how and when it flowers, and whether you actually like it or not.
        When cutting stuff down, consider what birds might be nesting there first. Electric gadgets might seem like an easy and quick idea, but you can do a hell of a lot of damage with them. Your garden would benefit from the 'slow and patient' approach.... and by the way, electric strimmers kill and maim, if used wrongly, not just plants, but hedgehogs, frogs and other creatures.
        Hope I`ve been gentle enough - if not, don`t worry, there are some lovely proper gentle people on here who will make up for it :snorky:

• Like Like x 2
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +118,310
          @Steve boyce welcome to GC :dbgrtmb:

Don't mind @Tetters :runforhills: she's lovely, really :thumbsup: and it's good advice.

You'll also learn that @Silver surfer is a fantastic mine of information. :love30:

'Wait and see' is one of the best sayings in gardening. :) Once it has flowered and set berries and after the birds have enjoyed the berries in the winter you can decide how to shape it. It appears to be at the front of the border and you may think it is a bit of a nuisance when overlapping the grass. So you should be able to trim it at the bottom to make it a standard. :blue thumb:

• Agree Agree x 1