1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Any tips re my faulty Hozelock sprinkler

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Olivia9801, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Olivia9801

Olivia9801 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Can anyone advise me on how to solve the problem of a sticking Hozelock sprinkler. It starts off fine, but after a few minutes it then gets stuck and is unable to sweep back and foe.:mad:

It seems the only part I can remove to wash anything out is the little screw-thing on the end that connects to the hose. The devices appear to be quite straight forward, but I seem t be missing something and unable to rectify this problem.

I am hoping it can be repaired and that someone on the forum can advise me on how to do so?

Thanks.

2. GazSuttonUK

GazSuttonUK Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    How old is it?

3. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Hoselock have had many many versions of their sprinklers over the years. I've one which is pretty ancient, at least 15 years old. It rotates first one way then the other on a central stem and there's adjustments for arc, height and reach, all on the outside of this stem. It has a three leg base in yellow and all the works are black. Can't find a picture on the net.

But with all these it's only the pressure of the water that activates any mechanism. If they now have the mechanism that activates the oscillation enclosed to stop customers getting at them, there's probably not a lot you can do. These molded fabrications often have no screws in them to enable you to take them apart. It may be that something has got inside and the pressure of the water is causing it to jam. I doubt if there will be any washers are parts that could expand with contact with water after a few minutes.

We're groping "under water" here, does it "rattle" when you shake it?

4. garden linnet

garden linnet Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Let me know if this is sorted pl

I am in the process of sorting mine

5. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    A thought has crossed my mind, have any of these been exposed to heat?
    Being plastic there's a possibilty of them becoming distorted.

Other than that I think it can only be a "foreign body" which has somehow got into the mechanism.

6. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    What sort of sprinkler is it? Let`s have a photo. Hozelock produce umpteen sprinklers.:gnthb:

7. Hex

Hex Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you have hard water? If its a case of calcium/lime deposits clogging up the works and preventing it from oscillating you could soak it in vinegar (5% acetic acid) for a few days which should dissolve the worst of it.

8. Olivia9801

Olivia9801 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for your replies. Apologies for not replying to you sooner, but have been so busy with work I haventhad time to come on here. Subsequently, my garden has suffered as well.

Anyway, my sprinkler is a couple of years old, but it has had hardly any use until recently. It is the one that has 24 outlet jets which can be regulated just like the angulation of the spray.

I have also wondered if a foreign body has got in which may hinder the free movement of it arcing?

I live near St Michales Mount, Penzance, and althoug we are on the hardish side with our water, I have not noticed it causing problems with issues such as our kettle, which is one of the first to suffer shoudl you have really hard water.

I was wondering if anyone knows a way of "politely" dismantling it to give it a good clean & service?:cnfs:

If so let me know!:thumb:

Regards

Olivia9801

9. Karl-D

Karl-D Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hya Olivia, maybe you could spray a bit of WD40 were the parts are supposed to move?

10. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    You could try soaking it in warm (not hot) soapy water and give it a bit of a "swoosh about."
    Can't see that it has got distorted if it starts off OK.
    The symptoms seem more like a "foreign body" which works its way into the mechanism due to the pressure of the water, than falls back once you stop using it.
    On mine there's the usual "no user servicable parts" construction, they don't want you repairing it, they want you to buy another.

I don't think WD40 works on plastics.

11. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    Have a look at the hozelock site http://www.hozelock.com/watering/sprinklers.html
    [align=left]it gives pictures of all their sprinklers - then maybe we can narrow down the type and be a bit more helpful.

You could try contacting hozelock - if they can't help and the only option is to buy something new, then in taking your existing one apart you won't have lost anything and you might even be able to effect a repair.
    [/align]

12. Nyge

Nyge Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok ... you can take the whole device to pieces if you release the plastic arrowheads carefully BUT this is not the solution to your problem ... if you want instructions please request.
    I fixed my sprinkler when the same happened ... it was caused by gutter gunge in my rainwater supply getting caught in the gears.
    Remove the plug in the end of the sprinkler, remote from the hose fitting end, by pushing it inwards and turning it. Tape over all the spray jets so that they will be temporarily disenabled. Insert a hose with no fitting into the centre spray bar supply where the fitting has just been removed. Use an old rag to get a good seal and flush for a few seconds.
    Put it all back together and enjoy oscillations again.
    For a long term solution make sure your supply water has a good particle filter.
    Suggest you store your sprinkler underwater as with unused water pumps.

13. Nyge

Nyge Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Another thought ... when you finish with your sprinkler I suggest you hold it firmly on the ground while you release the hose. Then lift the sprinkler so that all the water within runs out via the supply fitting .... this might just flush out any unwanted material rendering it ready for use next time.
    Also if you are going to move your sprinkler to a new position don't turn it off but just avoid getting soaked ... I noticed that it is always when the water is turned off that a sprinkler oscillation failure is most likely to happen.

14. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,610
    Welcome to GC Nyge. I'd just like to point out this thread is nearly three years old. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Nyge

Nyge Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Ok ... but has the problem been solved for the questioner?