1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody found a good energy supplier

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by hailbopp, Sep 4, 2021.

1. hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
    +682
    We use oil and electric, no gas. Our current supplier ( Bulb) are hiking their prices considerably in October so thought I should try and find a better deal but not sure if I would be best to go for fixed or otherwise. I am fighting a rearguard action with Bulb re getting a smart meter installed and so far they have not won. Anybody got any advice as to another supplier or should I use one of these switching companies that do the work for you, no doubt taking a cut in the process! Thanks

• Like Like x 1
    • JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
      Ratings:
      +2,381
      We've been with Bulb for several years now. They only have one tariff, and they only keep customers by staying competitive.
      I recieved their warning that there would be an increase (in our case £2 per month) and that it was due to wholesale prices rising nationally.
      I've been happy with Bulb, they are hugely cheaper than my previous supplier N power.
      So even though 'U switch' have suggested a change I've not seen reason to jump ship yet.
      (I'd guess if my dual fuel is rising £2 with them, it would have been £10 extra with N power)
      Bulb fitted our Smart meter two years ago and we like it. You can see at a glance exactly what is being used. They give you a nice little digital reader that you can play around with, and it always returns to the 'home' position if you mess up.
      (Fool proof even for me)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
      • Michael Hewett

Michael Hewett Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +18,048
        I think the prices are all going up. My supplier has just told me the same.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
          At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
          Ratings:
          +49,503
          Mine likewise - I am with Pure Planet which operate by selling per unit at wholesale price (or as near as dammit) with their profit coming from the monthly membership fee. Between the rent going up, gas and electric going up, diesel going up, council tax going up, water going up.... it is starting to really hurt now.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,552
            I carried on with E.on when I moved here four years ago and having made comparisons, there's so little difference in price between suppliers that it wasn't worth changing, even though I'm paying a little more than I'd like.

Hailbopp you may be interested in the Oil Club below. I joined it three years ago and make a fair saving on domestic oil. There's a minimum for the amount delivered and it's delivered at the same time as others in our area, usually within a week. This keeps costs down for the club regarding delivery vehicles and in turn, costs for the customer are reduced. They also keep an eye on oil prices and generally go for the best/lowest price. We, in turn as customers pay less than from the usual oil suppliers. If an emergency supply is needed they will deliver but the cost may be a little more than normal.

Home - "Together We Save" - The Oil-Club

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +118,355
              Can't really help you as I shop around each year with individual suppliers. It takes a while and a lot of patience but I usually manage to badger them down to a good price.

My last supplier was an excellent price but they went bust!

"I used to give the best discounts in town"
              [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
              • Funny Funny x 1
              • hailbopp

hailbopp Gardener

Ratings:
                +682
                :) Shiney. I had a supplier a few years ago that also went pfft! After a very tedious morning I have signed up to a new 2 year fixed ( Eon next). It’s not hugely better but it is a bit. I have had to agree to have a smart meter installed, hmm will delay that as long as I can. I wonder what the penalties are for sabotaging them:heehee:.
                Thank you Sheal. Yes we have been members of our local Oil club for many years. Boilerjuice used to be good, accent on the used! Been on oil for over 30 years so you get to know your way around. Pity you cannot buy electricity when the price drops a la oil.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +14,309
                  Too late, but I was going to say that it seems to be a requirement to have a smart meter fitted in order to change suppliers. I resisted too, but in the end it was worth it to capitulate in order to get rid of EDF. I'd have jumped through blazing hoops of fire to get rid of EDF :roflol:

• Funny Funny x 2
                  • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +52,552
                    E-on contact me on a regular basis saying they want to fit a Smart meter. They get ignored. :biggrin: I don't need to know how much electricity I'm using, the bills tell me that. I can't reduce it any further than I have either regarding efficiency, so there's no point.

• Agree Agree x 2
                    • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
                      At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
                      Ratings:
                      +49,503
                      That isn't the reason that they want us to have smart meters, that is merely their 'cover'

The two main reasons are to be able to hit us with variable pricing where you will pay a hell of a lot more if you dare to use your electricity at certain times (so if you put your oven on at dinner time when you get home for example) and also because despite their protestations otherwise the grid is not likely to cope too well if everyone is using electric vehicles, so they want to be able to switch things like your freezer or electric central heating off for a short while to allow some slack. They will tell us, of course, that this is not going to be a problem as things like freezers will sustain themselves for an hour or so without any problem, or that the temperature of our buildings won't drop that much while the heating is off.... of course, this will work perfectly when tested in a laboratory in the centre of Oxford, but when rolled out to the Highlands of Scotland where mobile phone signals can be variable at best....

Oh, and we'll be paying a hell of a lot more for the pleasure too. Welcome to the future.

• Agree Agree x 3
                      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                        Ratings:
                        +118,355
                        My first sentence when shopping around for a new deal is "I'm looking to change supplier, do you insist on having a Smart :th scifD36: meter installed?" If they say 'Yes' then I politely bid them goodbye.

When my supplier went bust they were taken over by a new company set up by British Gas (spit! :heehee:). I have stayed with them for this first year as I have got it in writing that they will continue with the same deal as the previous supplier and not ask for me to have a Smart meter. They say they are a slimmed down version of a company (no frills), no paperwork and no manned phones, just website, emails and Live Chat. I've never been into frills and said I was happy with that.

Then I was given a link to their website to finish setting up my account - and the online form asked for my phone number!!! :scratch: So I told them that I'm a no frills customer and don't use my phone for that purpose. :roflol: After some negotiation I got a phone number out of them (I tested it first :ideaIPB:). :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
                        • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
                          Ratings:
                          +7,623
                          I'd get a fixed rate, long term deal asap. Prices are going up just like the infection rate.

The UK has turned to a coal-fired power station to help boost its energy supply after global gas and power prices hit new highs.

• Like Like x 1