Anybody know about Heleniums

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by silu, Feb 25, 2013.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Always on the look out for new things for my herbaceous borders I got some Helenium last Spring, 2 varieties, Chelsey and Sahins Early Flowerer. Peering at them today to see how they have fared during the winter, the clumps of Chelsey look great, the Sahins does not. There are slight signs of new growth on the Sahins but can tell the majority of the clumps are dead...boo.Not having grown Helenium before are there some varieties which are easier/hardier than others? Both varieties flowered very well last summer and luckily I liked Chelsey better.

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,013
    Hi Silu - sorry I don't know the answer to your question.

But just wanted to say that Heleniums are a first rate border plant, and flower for a long period of time - which I think is important.

I only have 'Moorheim Beauty', which is rated amongst the best. Its also very hardy. You never know Sahin might come back - its so early I haven't even bothered to see if there are any signs of growth.

I don't know if you know Bob Brown at CGF http://www.cgf.net/plants.aspx?id=8&hid=6&genus=HELENIUM I pay a lot of attention to what he says - being a Chelsea gold medalist. He gives a score to many varieties. I note that he talks about not liking unimproved clay for some. Mine seem to do OK, but it was very wet last summer and presumably over the winter as well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,486
      Like you silu I'm always looking for new plants and heleniums moerheim and sahins are newly acquired. I understand they need good soil and moisture but not too much wet. Tried several varieties of agastache last year too. I think. It's too early to assume anything is dead just yet...you may be surprised in a few weeks to see new growth.

• Like Like x 1
      • silu

Ratings:
        +8,083
        Thanks both for your help, I am a twit as it's Sahins Early Flowerer that's fine and Chelsey which is looking ultra sad. Maybe it will perk up but "hey me doots" on that. Had a look at the link Pete , useful as Heleniums are a great later addition to the herbaceous border when many other things are well past their best.If Chelsey doesn't decide to keep going I'll use Bob Brown's recommendations to try another. Have mine planted with Anemone Honorine Joubert and the combination looked really quite nice both flowering at pretty much the same time.

• Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +2,967
        • Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • tirednewdad99

tirednewdad99 Gardener

Ratings:
          +45
          Hello Silu,

I grow both verities- just remember that Sahin's early riser flowers sooner than Chelsey so usually the folliage comes out earlier- so don't worry!- give it time.

Heleniums are great plants to split- i'll probably split mine in 2-3 weeks time. each tuft is a new plant, so just break up your existing clumps into 2 or 3 peices and you'll have loads more flowers this summer.

this year i'm experimenting with the 'chelsea chop'- i'll leave 1/3rd grow normally, 1/3rd i'll cut in half in may and the last 1/3rd i'll cut down to the ground. This will hopefully mean that it should be in flower for ages and ages.

I find that growing them behind Aster frankii monch makes a fantastic contrast between the orange and a light blue.

• silu

Ratings:
          +8,083
          Thanks all, I read about the "chelsea chop", I haven't enough yet to experiment. maybe let us know how you get on tirednewdad99. Great link Palustris I feel the credit card might be taking a bit of a lashing!

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667
          Anything on there that has a "Bob's Score" warrants consideration IMHO, and if its a high score I "just have to have one" !!!

• Agree Agree x 2
          • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +4,013
            Thanks for that link Palustris - very useful. I never knew there were so many names varieties.

• honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,915
            i don't have much luck with herbaceous perennials for some reason...even Chryanthemums never seem to do that well :dunno: the Helenium we have was growing in a large pot for a couple of years and although we got the odd flower it was far from thriving. last spring i took it out and (even though it wasn't a large 'un) i divided it into two, potted both into separate small black pots and i dunno why but they flowered their little hearts out! :yes:

• Verdun

Ratings:
            +17,486
            Honey Bunny, probably the food in new compost. When I finally put my varieties into the ground I will add plenty of compost and feed. I'm expecting great flowers but tatty foliage so siting them will be the challenge.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,915
              i think you've hit the nail on the head there Verdun, the medium they're growing so happily in now is my own compost (which is really quite rich) mixed with my 'orrible 'orrible clay garden topsoil, the plan was to see how they faired with the clay soil and if they perked up they could be planted in the ground at some point but it seems the mix has made for a 'surprisingly' nice medium!

now to decide where in the garden to put them?:thumbsup:

• silu

Ratings:
              +8,083
              Suggest you take a trip up to the Curragh and get a few bags of mare's best!:)

• Verdun

Ratings:
              +17,486
              Honeybunny, I intend to plant my heleniums behind something else so that flowers are seen but not the foliage

• Like Like x 1
              • honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,915
                that sounds like a great idea! perhaps my fav's Pittosporum 'Tomb Thumb' would do, i've been thinking of planting it in the ground for a while now, it'd be a grand excuse to finally do it and i'd image they'd look quite well together.