1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone drive a Jaguar?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Loofah, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,669
    Emphasis on the 'bit' :heehee:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,259
      Anyone one here drive the ipace?
      My companion wants a new car, hers is 9 years old now and she’s given me the task of arranging it all.
      It’s got to be electric and we’ve looked at the Mercedes big old lump, E Tron Audi and the Tesla model 3.
      I saw this thread and am hoping someone got one and can give an honest impression.

• Loofah

Ratings:
      +21,669
      No but the reviews are all good and it looks pretty awesome. Probably slightly cheaper to maintain than the merc and others

• Like Like x 1
      • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
        Ratings:
        +49,478
        Not owned one, but wouldn't say no to one as long as I could cope with range issues - wee bit long, but here is a fairly honest review of the car in day to day terms on a road trip.

If journeys are short and you can charge at home or work, then there shouldn't be an issue. It would certainly be top of the pile for me, with the Audi E Tron next up. The Tesla and the Mercedes would be left slugging out the bottom spots (shockingly bad customer service from both with a premium price tag for a non-premium product)

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • Liz the pot

Ratings:
          +1,259
          Thanks, from what I’ve read from owners the range is not as good as some And warm weather is about 200 miles and that’s going to drop in colder weather and the brake system and screen issues. Looks a nice car though and it’s first generation.
          Merc seems to be built on the old chassis as is the Audi and it drives like a tank and the Tesla suffers from quality issues if you are unlucky.
          She’s got a Honda CRV old shape and the new ones are larger, we did look at the Tesla x but it’s huge and not something she now wants.
          She knows the owner of the local Merc garage and it’s so so as franchise go but my sisters husband works for Merc not a franchise and he’s pretty honest about them. Audi is a tank too.
          It’s a toss up between the jag or model 3 at the moment. She does like a higher sitting position though which the jag is but she loves the tech on a Tesla. our local jag garages is closing and relocating and the nearest Tesla is West Drayton.
          in fairness to Tesla the model 3 seems to be better made comparing it with the s and x and I think they probably got a bit to go but not bad.
          I think she needs to have a test drive with the jag to see how she feels.

• Like Like x 1
          • Fat Controller

Public Transport
            Ratings:
            +49,478
            Yes, the Merc and Audi both based on older chassis, with Merc in particular suffering from a lot of Renault influence now as well as under-investment in product. Audi are still reasonably good, but their reputation of rock-solid reliability is undeserved - - and as you rightly point out, both are heavy old beasts.

Tesla, I wouldn't more than glance at - loads of toys/tech, but once you scrape past that veneer, there is not a lot more too them; as you say, if you get one that is a lemon, you have no chance. Their sales outlets are alleged to be closing soon too, and it will all be done online.

Not sure where you are, but there is a huge new Jag dealership opening near me this year - one of the Guy Salmon chain. They get variable reports, but I have never had a problem with them (currently located in Thames Ditton). Test drive would be the only way to know, and preferably an extended (24-hrs?) test drive if it can be arranged.

• Like Like x 1
            • Liz the pot

Ratings:
              +1,259
              I’ve just been reading the Tesla’s service charges, terrible price if it’s true.
              I’m in Bucks, every other car round here is Merc, bmw, Porsche, lots of Bentleys, a few Rolls and stacks of Range Rovers and discoveries. Chap opposite me has a TVR, it’s junk and is always in for work.
              Nearest Jaguar is Lookers in Amersham, that’s the one that was said to be moving. Been there years.
              the oldest garage around here is Slades and I pass it most days as it’s just up from my Companions old house.
              Slades Garage - Sports Cars for Sale in Buckinghamshire
              They have some great cars in there but no i pace yet.

• Like Like x 1
              • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                Ratings:
                +49,478
                Cor, they have some properly expensive metal in their stock!

I haven't seen the Tesla service prices, but don't doubt they are eye-watering. Sadly, there is tons on the internet about their poor service from minute one - they seem to be trading on their brand and the supposed kudos of owning the latest gadget (the iPhone equivalent of cars I suppose)

You are not all that far from me really - an hour or so would get you to Thames Ditton if they had something in stock you could test drive. I take it you want new?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Liz the pot

Ratings:
                  +1,259
                  Yes new really as it will probably be her last car to be honest. She’s got her heart stuck on a Tesla and she does struggle with her CRV now.
                  We loved the Honda e but it’s a town car and I’ve no doubt it will be a great little car for around town but she likes her longer trips for her regular holidays.

Slades have some really nice cars in at times. We tried out a Ferrari California a few years back, it sounded great but the build quality was awful. I was shocked as it was £140000. Not comfy, not for me anyway and I said why do you want this, it’s just not practical and I don’t like the image as it’s all show. That’s one thing Tesla has, it looks plain.

I’ll have a look at what that jag garage has in stock just in case they have a show model.

• Like Like x 1
                  • Liz the pot

Ratings:
                    +1,259
                    Great, they have a few low mileage HSE versions. I’ve sent her some photos. They are almost the same size as a model 3 but the interior looks so much better. I’m hoping they have the air suspension upgrade.

• Like Like x 1
                    • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                      Ratings:
                      +49,478
                      The air suspension works really well - I have it on the XJ, and my neighbour on his Range Rover; strikes a nice balance between handling and ride, and with Jaguar you get the CATS adaptive damping (or the latest version thereof on the I-Pace) which sees it adapt to the way the car is being driven.

• Like Like x 1
                      • Liz the pot

Ratings:
                        +1,259
                        We are off to have a look at one at Lookers our local jag dealer to see if she likes them.
                        I’m arranging a test drive for her in a Tesla too.
                        I’ve also suggested Honda as they have a SUV planed next year and I’ve suggested as she wants something special as it’s probably her last car a Porsche Taycan

• Like Like x 1
                        • Loofah

Ratings:
                          +21,669
                          Go Jaguar... you know you want to!

• Like Like x 1
                          • Funny Funny x 1
                          • Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • Liz the pot

Ratings:
                            +1,259
                            haha I know. Trouble is she’s just watched a video on the Porsche and like it. She might as well have a test drive of all the cars I think she will like and she can go with the one she likes most. Got a feeling the Tesla might get left behind

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
                            Ratings:
                            +49,478
                            Good God in Govan, that Porsche is a hell of a chunk of money! I could never bring myself to drop that sort of cash on a car, despite having petrol running through my veins :heehee:

As it happens, I was sat behind a brand new Tesla in traffic this evening on the A316 - - still pretty looking car (Model S admittedly), but the thing that really struck me was the paint on it; really, really poor for a '19 plate car, and not damaged, just a bit sad looking. I've seen Vectras with better paint.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they are all like that, but if you do go Tesla, I would be looking at the paint quality really closely when the car was delivered.

We'll wait with baited breath for the update on the test drives!

• Friendly Friendly x 1