1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Solved Anyone have any idea what this is?

Discussion in 'Identification Area' started by Lisamyoung06, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Lisamyoung06

Lisamyoung06 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone ,
    New
    To this site and to gardening. Hoping for some help to identify this I found growing in my garden today between our fence and a neighbours fence behind (gap in between) it was really tall about 8 foot and I have looked on google although can’t find a match? The root of it is really thick where it was stemming from. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to reply to me
    Lisa :)

Attached Files:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,991
    Looks like Elderberry.:smile:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Lisamyoung06

Lisamyoung06 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks for the reply Pete I was worried incase it was something invasive.

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,369
      Hello Lisa, welcome to GC :sign0016: Pete's right, it's Sambucus or elderberry. I'm afraid it's not entirely benign, though. It will become a big tree left to it's own devices. Birds spread the berries around, so you could end up with a lot more than one.
      It sounds as though it's in a tricky position to get rid of it, but if you can get into the space and dig out as much of the root as possible, then when it re-shoots, treat it with SBK brushkiller, you might win :)

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2