1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone here established their own wildflower meadow?

Discussion in 'Herbs and Wildflowers' started by Freedom_Spark, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Freedom_Spark

Freedom_Spark Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    Hi everyone, I'm just wondering if anyone has experience of planting their own wildflowers? There is a perfect spot for a meadow next to my parents house & I think it would look beautiful with colourful wildflowers, lots of buttercups grow in it naturally. Our entire family comes home from all over the world in the summer & I think it would be fantastic to turn this slightly overgrown area into something beautiful, yet still natural & in keeping with the surroundings, there is a forest next to the land. There is one major problem however, the land is grazed by a few cattle in the autumn, would this make it difficult/impossible for wildflowers to establish properly? I got a small amount of seeds last year but unfortunately I've been too busy to start anything properly, now that I've become a bit of a gardening addict however, I would love to get something started. Any advice is very welcome.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,072
  3. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,595

4. meadowland

meadowland Apprentice Gardener

Ex Physiotherapist.Presently,an ambitious gardener
    Have been living for the last 20years just on the
    Ratings:
    +19
    Hello! I'm a new member here.Noticed you have an interest in WFMeadows.Have just put aside a small area in my lawn to do just that.Would appreciate any advice!

5. Katkatkat

Katkatkat Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    I've recently helped with maintenance work and extra planting of a wildflower meadow on a stretch of local river. An important aspect to consider is that you'll need to cut it all back and remove the cuttings to reduce soil fertility however the grazing cattle might do that for you?

6. Bloominggood

Bloominggood Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +26
    I have never tried a Wildlife Meadow before
    Bought some annual wildflower seeds in a flower shop to add colour to a corner of my garden
    They worked a treat and attracted all types of insects and butterflies
    BG

7. Trunky

Trunky ...who nose about gardening

Professional Gardener (retired)
    Ratings:
    +10,739
    Over a number of years and with patience, I've managed to create a small wildflower 'meadow' area from what was originally just an area of bland looking mown grass around a couple of large apple trees in our back garden.

The first stage was to simply stop cutting the grass regularly. It's surprising what will appear even by just letting the grass grow long. I now cut the grass just twice per year, in late July and again around the end of October.

This gives any wildflowers present a chance to seed themselves before the first cut and also means that any spring flowering bulbs or flowers are not swamped by long grass early in the season.

My job a few years ago involved grounds maintenance around a number of schools. One particular small village school had a beautiful bluebell area under a large, ancient apple tree. When this school was closed I managed to rescue a good sackful of bluebell bulbs from the empty site prior to its 'redevelopment' which of course involved the apple tree and bluebell patch disappearing under concrete.
    These I planted in amongst the grass under one of my apple trees and they've thrived there ever since.

Shortly after that I 'rescued' a few tatty looking wildflower plants in plug trays which were sitting forgotten in a corner at work, having been left over from a landscaping scheme and which were about to be thrown away.

There were a handful of Cowslips, Ox-eye Daisies and Bedstraw and that was about it, but I took them home and planted a clump of each in the grass.
    Several years later they have now colonised the area and are all doing fine!

Other wildflower species have appeared by themselves, such as Celandine, Buttercup, Vetch, Daisy, Clover and of course Dandelion.
    I've also got Knapweed growing in there, which came from seeds collected from my favourite churchyard and simply scattered around in the grass.

The whole area has not cost me a penny and looks better with every passing year.

This is how it looks at the moment, photos taken this morning.

DSC06235.JPG

DSC06233.JPG

DSC06230.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      That looks absolutley lovely Trunky:wub2:

• Trunky

Ratings:
      +10,739
      After a hot and hectic day at work, I wandered out into the garden this evening and headed for the cool shade of the old apple tree in the wildflower patch.
      In amongst the lush green grass growth, several wild flowers were adding a dash of colour here and there.
      Join me for a quick tour.

DSC06378.JPG

Plenty of Vetch in flower at the moment

DSC06387.JPG

A closer look

DSC06379.JPG

Buttercup

DSC06381.JPG

The Garlic Mustard has a visitor

DSC06382.JPG

Plantain

DSC06393.JPG

• Like Like x 6
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Lovely Trunky,

Careful, Harry123 will be after that Ladybird.

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Perfect Trunky....what a lovely place to sit:wub2:

• Trunky

Ratings:
        +10,739
        It is Lolimac, I only went out there to cool down and chill for a bit, but as I looked around me, I just couldn't resist going back indoors for the camera. :cool:
        It's right next to the chicken run, I think the girls were a bit disappointed as it usually means tit bits or a few tasty weeds when they see me around. :lolpt: :chicken:

• Like Like x 2
        • westwales

westwales Gardener

10 miles from the coast in the rainy west
          Ratings:
          +598
          Looks lovely. I don't know too much about cows but I have a feeling there's an issue if they eat clover or some plants. You may want to check with the cows owner for some advice. Wild flower meadows look wonderful though. Go for it if you can.

• Trunky

Ratings:
          +10,739
          June, and the Ox-eye daisies are flowering in the dappled shade of the old apple tree.

DSC06536.JPG

Nearby, the frothy white flowers of Bedstraw stand out in the long grass.
          DSC06525.JPG

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Just beautifull Trunky.....it's making me go all peculiar:wub2: