1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone here suffer from tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Daisies, Nov 8, 2008.

1. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    If so, you have any advice, tips or recommendations?

I've just had it start really badly in one ear and it's driving me mental. :help:

Since we have a goodly number of mature gentlemen here and they are the most common group to suffer from it, thought it would be a good place to start.

I Googled tinnitus forums and you kow what? Must the be ONLY topic out there that doesn't have at least one forum!

I don't BELIEEEEVE it! :doh:

2. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I get it now and again, but it lasts only for a few seconds and then gone again thankfully. Pesky nuisance.

3. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    I read something once about playing low frequency sounds helping to lessen the effect. I don`t envy you Daisees-sorry to hear about this, my Grandad was driven bonkers by it for years.

4. redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
    Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
    Ratings:
    +10,593
    I get it now and then too. It started a year ago January. I went for tests and everything, nothing they could do. Some days its gone, other days, its there but real quiet. Fairly liveable now. There are some herb teas you can drink for it, look it up. And I hear red wine affects it more, I have noticed that.
    Try a Chiropractor, perhaps just a neck adjustment might help. A new pillow maybe. I know its the hardest when you are wanting to sleep. But if you google, there is a lot of stuff on it.

5. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +6,953
    :) Just a thought Daisees,my sister recently was diagnosed with tinatus and after having the ears seringed a slight infection was discovered she is now perfectly ok.........Don't want to insult your intelegence Jo...........your the nurse lol.

6. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    No worries, roders - there are things I know a lot about and things I know almost nothing about - be assured the latter outweighs the former by a considerable amount! :wink:

As for that bit about an ear infection, you just reminded me - I went to the doctor a few weeks ago because I had a brief episode of really bad staggers and he said it looked like I had some fluid behind my eardrum (i.e. a minor ear infection!) :idea: - seems like another visit would be appropriate.

Also, I have my regular chiropractor appointment on Monday!

Thank you all! :thmb:

7. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,498
    Some of us do Daisees, I have had it for 5 years now in both ears, left louder than right.
    I don't know of any truly effective treatment as it varies from person to person.

8. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,876
    Hi Daisees yes I have it in both ears a constant high pitched ringing
    Had the condition about 10 years,There are lots of forums out .Including this one:)
    www.tameyourtinnitus.com

9. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
  10. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,876
  11. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I have it in the form of pulse tinnitus murder when trying to get to sleep and you can hear the blood pulsing through your head,it seemed to appear a cople of years ago after banging my head when I fell off my treader,had all the scans etc but nothing found,done quite a bit of research it's one of those things you learn to live with,unless there is an underlying cause it's a case of trying to learn to ignore it and live with it,you can use distraction methods I switch off fortunately I have this ability to block out pain or stresses on my body probably borne from years of endurance cycling.

12. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Guess it's a bit like migraine - different for each and every sufferer. Thanks for all your input.

13. Shobhna

Shobhna Gardener

Ratings:
    +8
    Diasees,
    I have had it for some years too.
    I was told that mine was down to having taken malaria medication for years on end when I lived in Kenya. Not sure if I believe that but one of the things that I'm sure must be the cause of it is when you have had either malaria or the real flu where your sinuses have been affected as well. I was told by my Consultant some years ago now that what happens is that there are very very fine hairs deep in the ear that have got damaged and that they never grow back again ever and since these assisted in hearing, it now feels as thought there is a bunch of cicadas in there singing their heart out.

I hear it more when I'm stressed or tired and hear it less when I'm in a happy and healty frame of mind.

I know it is not mind related but most certainly worse when I'm stressed.

I've got used to it but am still aware of it and sort of don't notice it.

14. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,491
    I've had it in both ears for about 30 years. Fortunately it is not bad but can be a nuisance, particularly when trying to sleep (not that I do much of that anyway). I always have soft music playing when I go to bed which helps distract me from the tinnitus.

Sinus problems and ear infections can definitely cause tinnitus effects. I also find that electrically produced background noises can aggravate it. e.g the buzzing of the computer, the fan on the air-con in the car and especially the noise from the hi-fi speakers when they are on but nothing is playing. I usually have music playing on the computer which overpowers or distracts me from the buzz and, likewise, have the radio on in the car.

If tinnitus gets really bad (a friend of mine used to get it so bad that he kept banging his head against the wall) you can have 'white noise' earphones or hearing aids to combat it.

I hope you just have an ear infection. :thumb:

15. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Oh indeed some medications CAN affect it - aspirin does, for one. And so does one's state of mind. No doubt about it.

And as for the cicadas - that is EXACTLY how it sounds to me!

I can sympathise with your friend - I was reduced to crying Saturday night it was so bad but then I found crying made it worse so I soon stopped that!

I have a white noise generator but it has a fairly low pitch and my present T is very high pitched so it does't seem to work.

Thanks both. Appreciate your input.