1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Know Anything About Intellectual Property?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Jungle Jane, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    To cut the long story short a map I created from scratch of the nature park I volunteer at has been used by the council without crediting me for it or my consent.

Mr Jane argues that because my map was made for that charity they don't need to credit me for it. I have been credited elsewhere where it has been used by the charity but the council have not. I always thought that the person who created the work will always be credited for it.

Do I have any grounds to kick up a stick about this or not?

Thanks everyone

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,793
    Do you WANT to kick up a stink?

You created it, albeit on behalf of a charity (?) but the council absolutely are required to credit you. They have, in effect, ripped off your work and presented it as their own.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Jungle Jane

Local Nutcase
      Ratings:
      +3,225
      Absolutely!

• Like Like x 1
      • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
        +21,793
        Get writing then :) As it's the council go with the deluxe package of abuse, concern, disappointment, compensation (natch) and legal action.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • Jungle Jane

Local Nutcase
          Ratings:
          +3,225
          I dunno if I have enough weight to do legal action. All the council did was use my image on a leaflet that is really only used in one area for today. I want to just complain. I doubt I could get any compensation for it anyway.

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
          At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
          Ratings:
          +49,610
          And go for the jugular - the press

• Jungle Jane

Local Nutcase
          Ratings:
          +3,225
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,836
          Anyone Know Anything About Intellectual Property? j

Let me have a think about it:heehee:

The Council should have had the courtesy to have put a little acknowledgement by the image....but then if you hadn't asked for that or even spoken indirectly about it then perhaps it's not all the Council's fault. You also sound as you're kind of down playing it after having had a lowering of blood pressure??:snork:

• Like Like x 1
          • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
            At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
            Ratings:
            +49,610
            Local press, yes - they love a bit of this sort of thing. Might well embarrass the council into an apology

• Jungle Jane

Local Nutcase
            Ratings:
            +3,225
            The image is used elsewhere and I have been credited with it on 100,000 leaflets with it in it. So I assumed it was the norm to credit images to their creators. I still want an apology from the council and am looking into who I need to contact, who organised the event etc.

I do agree that the charity is also at fault for not crediting the image and know that the blame will be passed around.

I was in tears about this earlier as I was so angry. I've had a lot of setbacks and negativity with my creative work recently and this was the straw that broke the camels back as it were.

• Like Like x 1
            • westwales

westwales Gardener

10 miles from the coast in the rainy west
              Ratings:
              +598
              I've experienced similar situations but my understanding is that it's very difficult to get far legally and will probably cost you far more in both effort and frustration than you will gain.

Perhaps a letter to both the charity and the council asking that if they want to use the image again you would like to be credited would ensure that the council knows how to contact you. You might also suggest that as they liked your previous work you would be happy to accept a commission for any future event!

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                +12,667
                How about if the council have made a genuine (or naive) mistake in using the image?

Surely the first thing to do is to point out to them that they have used an image which is not in the public domain / free-to-use, and see what they say. They may well apologise / offer to pay or credit you etc.

If they tell you to get lost THEN tell the press / sue them, whatever.

Sorry, but those suggesting that the FIRST port of call is to tell the press need to, in the words of Michael Winner, Calm Down!

Bottom line is that if you create an image / literary work etc. it is your copyright. You don't have to DO anything, copyright is implicitly granted to the author, although it may help if you mark it as copyright ('coz then there is no excuse for naively using it by mistake, given that you have put a crystal clear "keep off the grass" sign on it :) )

• Like Like x 1
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
                  Ratings:
                  +89,875
                  Good morning F/C just politely ask(in person)if you have the time,it really makes a difference) that you would like your name included on it,be proud that they used it,and I respectfully suggest that next time add your signature to your map,please keep us updated my friend:smile:

• Agree Agree x 2
                  • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +23,089
                    Please, please, please take the following in the spirit in which it is intended..................
                    What was this leaflet for? A charitable event? A promotional day? A commercial event?
                    Where did they find the image and were your rights as the artist acknowledged at this source?
                    Frankly, I would email the council pointing out what has happened. Make it clear that although you are happy for your work to be used for charitable/ social causes as a commercial artist it is not unreasonable to expect permission to be gained and credit given. This is your livelihood.

No. If they had any interest in it at all I fear that you may be the butt of the joke. People are always complaining about small minded councils........................

I have some relevant experience here. I went into a supermarket and noticed that one of my photos was being used on the packaging of a plant that they were selling. Now I will admit that (as it was a s/market chain) I saw red, asked for the manager and told him to remove the packaging from this item and to notify the management that this should happen nationally too. After 15 minutes on his computer he was satisfied that I was straight up and he gave me a £50 voucher to back off from my demands. In all fairness to him I did have an email address for the packaging manufacturer from him by the end of the day and they were very prompt in replying and paying for the image. They have bought three more from me since (and the total for all four images is less than the £50 voucher I got).

• Informative Informative x 2
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • Jungle Jane

Local Nutcase
                      Ratings:
                      +3,225
                      The leaflet was used to advertise the event going on where I volunteer. A new Thameside path was opening and the council had an event there to launch the app for it. A guided walk was taking place and the map I produced had been used and doctored to show the walking route. I thought this was only used at the nature park, but re reading it, it sounds like it may have gone a lot further.

Am writing to the council now and am still contemplating what to do about the said charity who supplied the image to them, which is where I suspect the fault lies.

• Agree Agree x 1