1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Tried To Grow Any Of These Vegetables And Salads

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Matthew 1990, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Matthew 1990

Matthew 1990 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone,
    Just wondering whether anybody has grown any of the following vegetables and salads and if you have do you have any tips for growing them as I'm going to attempt to grow these next season and any tips or help would be most appreciated :
    Beetroot (Detroit 2)
    Climbing Bean (Cobra)
    Coriander (Cilantro)
    Cucumber (Petita F1)
    Leek (Autumn Mammoth 2 - Snowstar)
    Parsnip (White Gem)
    Radish (Scarlet Globe)
    Sweet Corn (Swift F1)

2. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Matthew. Not sure about the specific varieties. Leeks need to be earthed up to make the stems go white. (or wrapped up in paper/cardboard) Sweet Corn needs to be planted in blocks rather than rows because it's wind-pollinated. never had any trouble with climbing beans, they just climb, flower and fruit.I hope someone with a bit more Knowledge trundles along, all the best [​IMG]

3. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    Hi Matthew

Out of your list, I have grown beetroot, runner beans and radishes (not sure of the varieties either). They have all done well and, as a first time veggie grower, I'm very pleased.