1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone undergone physio rehab - how did u get back into gardening?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Hannah's Rose Garden, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Hannah's Rose Garden

Hannah's Rose Garden Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,410
    Has anyone undergone physio rehab following an ilness / operation? How did u get back into gardening? What did u avoid to start with? I have gastroparasis and a recent csection delivery and started physio today but nervous to do any "gardening"

2. Hairy Gardener

Hairy Gardener Official Ass. (as given by Shiney)

Official Ass.
    Ratings:
    +1,468
    Yes, I have a condition called Brachial Plexus Neuropathy, 2 years ago, I lost most of my strength, control, grip in both arms and hands.

Once diagnosed, I was advised swimming and gentle physio to begin with. As things began to improve, I was told to start using weights, not being a member of a gym, I began by doing lighter tasks in the garden ie hand forking small areas, but certainly not lifting bags of compost (not that I could anyway). After a few months I noticed I could do more and even lift more, I put my recovery down to doing the garden.

Moral of the story: Start off gentle and let your body tell you when it's ready to do more. (perhaps the female members can offer advice as far as the C section stuff goes, as I am lucky not to have had one of them :whistle: )

Best of luck with your recovery.

• Like Like x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,046
      I've had a couple of accidents in the last 10 years (broken bones) so needed physio, the worst thing was finding I couldn't do some things to start with, so I had to pay someone to come in and do the things I would normally do without thinking like mowing the lawn. Then after a week or two when I was more mobile I started to do more and more. This may not apply to you Hanna but the plaster casts I had meant it was really difficult to do any digging/planting because the soil found it's way in and washing/showering afterwards was impossible. So as Steve says, start gentle and work you way up slowly.

Play the sympathy card and get others to help too!

• Like Like x 1
      • Hannah's Rose Garden

Hannah's Rose Garden Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,410
        Thanks I've made a start with weeding and clipping / pruning. Still can't do it without throwing up tho :(

• Friendly Friendly x 1