Anyone want chickens?

Discussion in 'Livestock' started by Sussexgardener, May 13, 2010.

1. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    This is a long shot, but is there anyone in Sussex, Surrey, Kent that wants some chickens or to add to their flock?

I am overwhelmed with broody bantams (time of year) and I am considering giving them some eggs to hatch out. I can probably find homes for the babies once they are old enough, but I thought I ask here first.

Breed can be arranged - I have no preference as I'm not going to keep any babies for myself due to being fully stocked already, so it's all down to personal preference or what eggs I can find! The only cost would be the initial cost of the eggs and their feed once hatched.

So, any takers?

2. boebrummie

boebrummie Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    wish you lived by me. im thinking about having chucks. i used to help an elderly person when i was a kid with they're chucks and loved the fresh eggs. and being chased around the garden by the male chuck.

3. RandyRos

RandyRos Gardener

Ratings:
    +404
  4. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Hmmmm, not quite the idea I was thinking of! :)

5. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I can recommend having chickens - much easier than a cat or dog to look after (with a secure run/house they can be left for a weekend if you want to go away) and you get fresh eggs.

6. NatalieB

NatalieB Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    What a thoughtful chook daddy you are! I just went and checked to see if we want to venture into chickens again......but would mean redoing the back garden making a secure area away from the duck pond for them......and given the heavy chalk base up there, nobody seems to be into doing the work! We did have one chicken (hatched in incubator with ducks, so thought it was a duck......hmmmmm) but she even got taken by a fox in broad daylight - so would involve definitely having to have a secured area. But thank you for thinking of offering them here!

Duck eggs? Would you be wanting any ducklings should my broody duck be actually sitting on fertile eggs?

7. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    You can hatch duck eggs under a broody bantam hen :) Amusing to watch as mother hen has a fit when the ducklings want to go swimming!

8. NewbieGreen

NewbieGreen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    that sounds funny :)

9. boebrummie

boebrummie Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    lol, do they adopt them as there own,

10. boebrummie

boebrummie Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    what size should the pen be. and do you only use them for eggs or do you sometimes have 1 for a sunday roast. :wink:

11. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    As big as you can afford to have it, yes, only for eggs and no, not for eating as we only keep bantams. If we had more room, I'd happily raise a dual purpose breed (hens for eggs, cocks for meat).

12. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +49,907
    Gosh, you know I'd have them in a moment Sweets only for the eggs and we would truly love a couple but not sure of our space ... I could NEVER eat a pet .... :ntwrth: s00k :flag:

13. NatalieB

NatalieB Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmmmm, if you are headed to Shiney's open day in a couple of weeks, let me know, I shall save the duck eggs......or would she have lost her broodiness by then do you think? Can always meet you somewhere to do a 'handover'......I will save eggs over the next couple of days if you like?

14. AirAssisted

AirAssisted Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Perhpas not of any use, but the deeds of my house actually state we cannot keep chickens!

15. NatalieB

NatalieB Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    oh really AA? We live rural, as we did in our last place, so the animals aren't a problem. I'd really miss my ducks if I couldn't have them :(