1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Anything as good as Roundup?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by silu, Jan 12, 2014.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    While I try very hard to use weed killer sparingly, with a very big garden plus field and loads of paths I do use some with care!
    My 5ltrs of Roundup is very nearly finished (had it for at least 8 years!) and will need to get more this season. There now seems to be all sorts of varieties of Roundup and I was wondering which I should go for and if there really is much difference between them? I generally use Roundup (Roundup I currently have is "amenity") to kill weeds in areas that haven't been touched for some time and therefore contain loads of different weeds including the dreaded Bramble and Bracken. These 2 horrors usually take maybe 2 applications to kill them and I normally add a bit of washing up liquid to help the weed killer to stick.
    I also use Roundup around a couple of shrub beds. I use Pistol for paths as it is semi residual and works!, the last Pathclear I bought which is now in liquid form rather than sachets of powder was useless and hugely expensive. That said a ltr of Pistol cost me about £50 but it does "do what it says on the tin" at least.
    I have used Gallup in the past and now can't remember if it is as good as Roundup or not? Certainly from memory it isn't so flaming expensive. It would be very helpful to get opinions of others. Thanks.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    The Monsanto formulation names are so similar that I won't try to remember which one it is that I am thinking of, but there is a new formulation which has non-toxic Adjuvants - there isn't even a hazard label on the pack for that formulation, so that's what I would go for. I think it is even safe for Aquatic use (which previous formulations weren't - not because Glyphosate is toxic, but because of the adjuvants). For that reason alone I have stopped using all the Generics, as they still have toxic adjuvants (and, who knows, maybe to be cheaper they are also more risky to use?)

I get the agricultural grade stuff as I don't think the non-toxic version is an amateur formulation yet.

• Like Like x 1
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997

Attached Files: