1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Aparagus crowns

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by joolz68, Mar 1, 2016.

1. joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,385
    Can anyone give me advice on which asparagus crowns to purchase please for my allotment,ive never grown it before,i have seeds but i read to start the bed off now i need crowns ? Thanks :)

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Conovers Cololosal:)

• Like Like x 1
    • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,385
      Off to see who is selling them :) cheers Zigs xx

• joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,385
      How many will i need? no idea how they multiply ive not googled them :dunno:x

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,146
      I grew asparagus from seeds last spring, they need transplanting this coming spring into the allotment and I reckon it will be a year or two yet before they become productive. So crowns will be much quicker.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      20 crowns :)

• Like Like x 1
      • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,385
        I think i read 3yrs john and im not getting any younger so i need to get the bed started,il be in my 50's before i eat them :heehee:
        If im successful with the seed then i will make more beds next spring :)
        I have no idea how many i need per 8ft lengh x

• JWK

Ratings:
        +46,146
        I am growing Martha Washinington and Ariane - the seed packet says there will be a light harvest 18 months after sowing, but I reckon it's more likely 3 years as you say :)

Did you miss off the width?

I reckon you need to plant 18" apart.

• joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,385
        :heehee: sorry,i was thinking lengh trench for them and how many per 8 foot as they will be on the narrower half of the allotment :) ive just seen Ariane crowns on ebay not a bad deal too buy 3 get 1 free :)
        How many males do we need ? im getting more confused the more i google :rolleyespink: x

• JWK

Ratings:
        +46,146
        I think I can see that same ebay listing, £24.99 for 24 crowns - I might well be going into production and making some money from mine - the seed packet was only 50p and I must have around 50 crowns coming on and I only used half the packet.

Rather than work out lengths etc why not think of it the other way round, like how many you need to feed your family? You should get around 20 spears from each plant each year and I have read that you need 10 plants per family member.

Cor I've never considered this before, surely it's not a problem as you eat the spears before they flower so it wouldn't matter. But maybe I'm being too simplistic. I have to say I'm no expert, I do have a small patch at home with crowns bought cheaply from Lidl - I just plonked them in and harvested them ever since. All I know is they don't do too well in the shady position I planted mine in, hence my plan to give my seed grown plants a nice full sun spot in the allotment.

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +14,336
          Here commenceth the lesson;) (Not being a know-it-all, but I planted a lot of beds for clients in the UK, and the first thing I planted here was a row of 250 asparagus plants!)
          Spacing will depend on soil type/preparation. If you've got the ideal sandy soil, 18" apart sounds about right. They also establish and start producing good spears much more quickly on light soil. If the soil is heavy, it really is worth improving it with sand and peat before planting. It's a long-term investment:) Same with eradicating perennial weeds and keeping annual ones under control.
          In theory, all-male plants are better because they don't waste energy on producing berries/seed. In practice, even if you buy 'all-male' plants, there will be some females. The proportion in seed-raised plants is very variable, but you'll still get useable spears from females.
          Connover's Colossal is 'the' standard old variety. Not sure if newer, improved and all-male varieties are available as plants in UK?
          Watch out for asparagus beetles..like an elongated red, black and white ladybird. The beetles are bad enough, but they produce the most disgusting, slimy offspring which defoliate the plants very quickly. If you've got time, hand-picking and crushing the beetles is the best control.
          When you're inundated with asparagus, it freezes very well after blanching for a few seconds:hapydancsmil:

• Informative Informative x 6
          • Like Like x 1
          • JWK

Ratings:
            +46,146
            Excellent post noisette !

Daft question, how do I tell males apart from females? Ah hang on I remember you have to leave a few spears to flower to put energy back into the crown - don't recall ever seeing any berries.

• Informative Informative x 2
            • noisette47

Ratings:
              +14,336
              That's right, JWK...it's only when they've gone to fern and have berries that you know what sex they are. You've struck lucky! IIRC, you're supposed to leave all the spears to go to fern for the first year, then pick one or two from each plant the next year and in year three you can pick for a couple of weeks. Thereafter, as much as you like as long as you let the plants run to fern and then die off naturally. You cut the stems right down when they're completely yellow.
              As mine were allowed to become weed-infested last year (mentioning no lazy, good-for-nothing husbands!:nonofinger:;)) I'm trying a thick straw mulch this year to suppress the weed seeds. Have had to resort to slug pellets underneath, though, as it's been sooo wet and slugs and snails love asparagus.
              The French (until fairly recently) didn't know what they're missing eating the huge, white, bitter stuff. Now the local ex-pats have introduced them to sweet, green, tender 'English' asparagus, there's a mini-revolution going on:biggrin: Not that they'll admit to preferring anything English, mind:roflol:

• Like Like x 2
              • joolz68

joolz68 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +5,385
                Thanks john :),i didnt realise one crown produced that many :hapydancsmil:x

• noisette47

Ratings:
                +14,336
                Eventually, joolz.....steady on:biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 2