1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Aphids, Ants and Holes in Leaves on Snowball Tree

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Sally Parker, May 20, 2018.

1. Sally Parker

Sally Parker Gardener

Ratings:
    +145
    My snowball tree is just over a year old (Roughly) and has some aphids (Black ones) on the stems and ants crawling all over them too and the ants are also all at the base of the tree. Many of the leaves also have lots of tiny holes in them and they have gone kind of lacy, so I'm suspecting caterpillars.

Does anyone have any advice on what I can do to get rid of these pests, without using chemicals, preferably? I did spray them with some water with very diluted washing up liquid in it, but it hasn't got rid of all the aphids and certainly not the ants! I didn't really like using the diluted washing up liquid solution anyway, because it is still chemical and all the water was running down into the roots! :frown:

Will the tree be ok without any intervention, or do I need to use something chemical?? :frown:

2. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,508
    I don't think the washing up liquid works as well on the black aphids ( It might just be me ) . I normally squash them running my fingers up the branch and if its really bad I get the gloves on, or you could blast them off with a hosepipe. If the viburnum oplus sterile or the other variety its an ideal time to prune if they finished flowering, you can prune the branches off with a big infestation.

The ants are farming the sooty mould the aphids makes when they are attacking the plants, they have a bit of a relationship, the ants help protect them from predators and in return the aphids provide food.

• Like Like x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,328
      You could try putting some jam or honey on a lid or cap in the bush. The ants then forage this and stop farming the aphids, which are then vulnerable to predators the ants may well remove the aphids as potential competition for the food. This approach is used by some trees that secrete a sweet material and even provide hollow spaces for ants that then protect the tree.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
        Ratings:
        +14,125
        Most washing up liquids today are detergent based and not soap based, so do not have the same bug killing power, it needs to be soap based.. I use horticultural soap in a spray gun with great effect. :)

• Like Like x 2
        • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,830
          I have a young dessert cherry that suffered from black aphids and ants during the last two growing seasons. Over the winter I hung a bird feeder in this tree which I am still keeping there and topped up. The idea being that the tits eat aphids while they await their turn on the feeder. It seems to be working now that the tree is actively growing; it even has some fruit. I’ve been keeping a close eye on the tree and have picked off a few leaves with aphids on them but it is nothing like the problem of last year. It is probably too late for success with this method for this year for you but I suggest you put up a feeder over the winter for next year.

• Like Like x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
            Last edited: May 20, 2018
          • Sally Parker

Sally Parker Gardener

Ratings:
            +145
            Thanks all for the helpful replies. :smile:

I have been spraying regularly now with the water jet spray bottle and it seems to be helping. :)

I will look into buying some horticultural soap as soon as I can afford it, as this seems like a good way of getting rid of the bugs.