1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

App Testing Volunteers Wanted!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Fat Controller, Mar 6, 2021.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,580
    We are joined by a new member @Evee who is developing a gardening related smartphone app, and has approached us as she is interested in the opinions and feedback of a number of GC members.

The Admin Team have discussed this at length and we are content to host this with the following caveats...

• You will need an Android smartphone or Apple iPhone to participate
    • The app will need to be downloaded from the relevant app store and there is no charge for this download
    • You may incur data charges through downloading or using the app and these will depend entirely on your data plan with your mobile provider
    • The app is as far as we are aware a beta version, therefore the whole idea is to test it and discover any bugs that may exist, but also to give feedback on the positives of the app
    • Please declare in this thread if you are participating
    • Please give all feedback in this thread
    • Please DO NOT give out any personal information (phone numbers, addresses etc) on the open forum; in the unlikely event that this information does need to be passed on, please do so via PM only.
    • Gardeners Corner are not sponsoring this app, nor are we being paid/sponsored in this case
    • It is your own responsibility to ensure you are happy to take part and assess any potential risks involved; Gardeners Corner will accept no liability for any loss or damage incurred.

@Evee will follow on to this post to explain in more detail... :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Evee

Evee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +11
      Firstly I'd like to say Thank you so much to the Admin Team :)
      I really appreciate all they do to create such a great forum & helping me with this thread!

And yes, it is definitely not the responsibility of Gardeners Corner if there are any problems with the app.

• Evee

Evee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +11
      Anyway Hello!

I am developing an app for planning and visualising a wildlife garden and would like to make contact with anyone interested in trying a very early version of the app.

The initial version is only for Apple iPhone or iPads, running the current version of iOS (iOS14).

The app will be released on the Apple App Store as a free download in future. At the moment it is on a special part of the store and Apple has a system where you can install early 'Beta' versions by using another app called 'TestFlight'. It sounds complicated, but is very easy in practice as I will add a link which gives you a button to setup everything....

Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    • Evee

Evee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +11
      The app is aimed at beginners, but I would value views from anyone with an interest in wildlife or gardening, your input can make a big difference at this early stage.

What improvements or features do you think would be most useful?

Currently I am finalising the item list (completing text descriptions, image & sizes of plants). My aim is that all common wildlife garden features can be represented while keeping the list short & flexible as possible, for example the water patch could represent any ground level wet feature, eg pond/marsh/stream...

So I would also appreciate any thoughts on whether the current list is missing any important items?

• Like Like x 1
      • Evee

Evee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +11
        Sorry I'm new, I think can't post the link here until I get a 'Like' ?!

• Like Like x 2
        • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
          At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
          Ratings:
          +49,580
          You will get plenty of likes here before too long :) Nice to have you with us @Evee and we look forward to seeing you around the forums. The GC gang are a really friendly bunch, so please don't be shy about diving in and chatting on the numerous threads that are going around.

• Agree Agree x 2
          • Like Like x 1
          • Evee

Evee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
            +11
            Thank you! it really cheers me up looking around the forums & all the helpful advice... I'm no where near as experienced as some of your members, but look forward to contributing if I can :)

• Like Like x 2
            • Evee

Evee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
              +11
              Ok - This link gives you access to try the Wildlife Garden app:

Join the Wildlife Garden beta

To get the app, open that link using the device that you want to install the app on.
              The Beta versions are free and you are under no obligation to do anything, although I would be grateful for feedback :)

There is more information about how to use the Wildlife Garden app here:

How to use the app

I'm happy to answer any questions on all this here & hope you enjoy poking around with the app :)
              Thanks in advance for your time & reading my multiple posts!

• Like Like x 1
              • Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +9,233
                I would be happy to participate...

• Like Like x 2
                • Friendly Friendly x 2
                • Evee

Evee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                  +11
                • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +4,203
                  Hi @Evee,

Sounds an interesting subject and sure it will go down well with lots of folk, but like some of the older members here we do not use or like using mobile phone apps etc. Often hard to see and to type into for us.

Wondered if you are going to start a parallel Thread here in the forums Wildlife section so we can all benefit ?
                  We are just planning a border for bees etc and looking to add extra wildlife planting around our small pond, so any source of help on things like that would be good.

Otherwise good look with the App project.:smile:

• Like Like x 2
                  • Evee

Evee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                    +11
                    @ricky101 Thanks for taking the time to reply :)
                    Its a good question as I thought about Wildlife section, but didn't want it to look like I was pushing my app on unsuspecting people.

The bee border and pond sound like excellent projects and I can share some examples of my draft descriptions here so everyone can get an idea of the content and comment on it.

The 'Water and marsh plant' item contains this text:

There are many types of wetland habitat, a pond, ditch or boggy area in your garden has good potential for supporting wildlife even if it is only small.
                    When choosing water or marsh plants it is important to be aware there are some invasive species to avoid, the link includes details on this.

and a link to the Wetland trust website:
                    Gardening for wetlands: A guide to native pond plants

• Like Like x 1
                    • Evee

Evee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                      +11
                      In the current version there are quite a few items listed for pollinators, the more general ones are 'Annual wild flowers' 'Meadows' 'Woodland wildflowers' 'hardy shrub or climber', they contain similar basic description + maintenance info.

There are some specific plant suggestions, but most of the detail is in external links, for example:

Lawn and mini-meadow habitats
                      How to make a shrub garden for wildlife | The Wildlife Trusts
                      Jekka's guide to pollinating herbs | How to grow & use herbs | Jekka's

and this link to wildflower gardening includes a link to a plant selector where you can search for plants depending on your conditions and habitat etc: https://plantlife.love-wildflowers.org.uk/wildflower_garden

• Like Like x 1
                      • Evee

Evee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
                        +11
                        Apologies for lack of updates here... where does the time go?!

The Wildlife Garden app is released on the iOS App Store :)

Do try if interested, its free, Search for 'wildlife garden' in the store, on iPhone or iPad this is the direct link:
                        ā€ˇWildlife Garden

And Thank you so much to everyone who helped or gave input here, I am still open to feedback here or via the App Store support link.