Apple tree bearing fruit - to summer or winter prune.

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Finston Pickle, Jun 27, 2022.

1. Finston Pickle

Finston Pickle Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +17
    Surprisingly, I don't see a specific fruit tree section, but here goes.

I have always pruned our succession of Ellison's Orange apple trees in July. This was both at our old and present house - different trees obviosly!

This has always resulted in a good heavy crop, as I thin to two apples per node in June as well as trimming the new growth to 4 or 5 leaves above the growth nodes in July.

The only surprise was one year when we rented our previous house and did no pruning, Summer or Winter. The result next year, again with no intervention, was the best apple crop ever on the second year wood!

The RHS and others reconmmend pruning in Nov to early March, but I am minded to follow what I find works for me.

Any thoughts from our Apple afficianados, please

F.P.

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,298
    I can only say what we do successfully and that is to prune in the winter. Our apple trees are too big for us to thin the apples out during the growing season (I don't do climbing any more :old:) but they manage to thin themselves out quite well. We always get a heavy crop with plenty to freeze and a lot left over to sell. :blue thumb: