1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Apple tree has fire blight

Discussion in 'Trees' started by NickyWood, Jun 14, 2010.

1. NickyWood

NickyWood Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

We have an inherited old apple tree (unsure of type) which has fire blight. I think this is the american name, not sure of the English name. We asked at our local garden centre but they did not seem very sure of what they were talking about. Can anyone advise me on what I should do to treat it. It has already taken over a large portion of the tree. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

With Thanks

2. Harmony Arb

Harmony Arb Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Nicky,

Unfortunately fireblight (bacterium: Erwinia amylovora) is a nasty disease that can kill flowers, leaves, twigs, stems and even the whole tree. It is an incurable disease but the infection can be managed in the hope of containing it and not letting it spread. Treatment involves removing affected branches back to decent growth points. You will need to disinfect your saw blade/pruning secateurs with diluted Jeyes fluid or meths between each cut so as not to spread the infection.

Hope this helps,
    Matthew