1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Are my new laurels in big trouble

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Barry79, May 17, 2018.

1. Barry79

Barry79 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi everyone,

I cut back some laurels a few months ago and planted new laurels in the large gaps. Some of the new laurels I got in aldi (i think) in pots and they seem to be doing ok. However I also got more mature plants from a farmer and they are really struggling - some more than others and in different ways. I pushed by finger down into the soil at the roots and the soil is moist. The original cutback laurels are budding nicely now.

I've included pictures of the two worst effect plants, that are sitting together in the same gap. What might the problem be?

Thanks,
    Barry

Attached Files:

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,046
    The gap makes me wonder what was there before?

3. Barry79

Ratings:
    +2
    There was nothing as far as I know. The two laurels on either side reached over to touch each other but there was still a large distance between them and the hedge hadnt the required fullness.

4. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    They look dead and dying to me, sorry to say.

5. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,666
    Looks like cold damage to me but you might want to check the soil out to see if it’s polluted which may account for there being a gap?

6. Barry79

Ratings:
    +2
    Planted them about a month ago and they were green when I planted them. Has been mild since then. The farmer dug them up the evening before I got them and I planted them the very same day. Found an old photo of the house when the original plants were very new and that large gap existed then.

7. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,666
    Possibly just a bit of shock then and they'll recover. Can take a while however, my laurels took forever to look good after an accidental heavy trim...