1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Are pots practical for permant planting of "big" plants?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by RipSlider, Feb 8, 2009.

1. RipSlider

RipSlider Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all.

I have a fairly ugly garage that I would like to see less of. Unfortunately, the area around the garage is covered in decking, and I don't want to go bursting through it.

I would like to plant a jasmine and a honeysuckle and let then wander over the walls. My current ideas on this are to:

1) Buy two great big pots and put one in each pot, and then run them up the trellis that I will attach to the wall.

or

2) Get a big zinc trough and plant them both in this. This would have the benefit of greater total volume of soil.

However, what with it being so cold today, I can't help but wonder if anything planted in pots on a permanent basis, but which I can't move is just going to get killed off. The root balls will be very exposed if they are in pots.

Has anyone had any sucsess with this method?

If it doesn't seem like a good one, does anyone have any other idea's? I'm totally open to suggestions.

Thanks

Steve

2. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,898
    Hello Steve and welcome to GC ... I see you've been with us for a month or so but obviously our paths have not crossed.

I have a situation here where a lot of my garden is on rock and I also have six 'outdoor' rooms (excluding the outdoor living room) that are laid to stone, tile or decking .... so .... I have LOTS and LOTS of pots, some quite large. Mine have to cope with intense summer heat and, like this time of year torrential rain .... and even light frosts. I have all sorts in them from fruit trees to various palms and tropical plants and shrubs. I have been doing this for some 5-6 years now. So far I have had no losses of anything in pots.

Now, first person to come to mind to advise you is Banana Man ... he is the man with humongous pots and even more humongous trees in them. Until he comes along to help you ... go look at some of his threads.

Good luck and enjoy the forum.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,976
    My thoughts are that pots are OK up to a point, if you plant totally hardy plants the roots freezing are not a real problem, but.................
    Pots are not permanent planting, eventually the plants will show signs of not being happy, two three or four years depending on the vigour of the plant in question.

Feeding and constant watering is a must during the growing season, so dont book any summer holidays:D

Unless you have someone you can trust to water them, most people just give them a dribble and assume that is enough.:(

4. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Ripslider, My honeysuckle has been in a pot (A Bucket really) for years and its fine, im going to plant it in the border this spring and im hoping it will survive as ive read somewhere ( GC probably)they dont mind a bit of neglect...

5. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Steve, they will be fine in pots, just don`t put them in massive pots straight off. The rule is the next size up from the pot they are in. Having said that, though. There is no reason why you cannot sink those pots into compost in BIGGER containers.:thumb: As for the frost thing, you can always wrap the pots in bubble wrap.

6. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    You should get away with clematis, and jasmine and even Bob Flowerdew has grapevines in pots. If you are worried about roots freezing, line the inside of the container with polystyrene or mix the ball type into the soil.

7. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I too have a large patio and no means to grow plants on it other than in pots. I've found thatt he Fatsia Japonica does well in its pot, although doesn't grow as big as if it were in the ground. Hostas are good in pots too, although when they die away for the winter you're left with an empty pot for 5 months+! I've also got a late flowering clematis in a big pot, which only got planted last year but I'm hoping that because it gets cut back in Spring, it won't get too pot bound.

Would agree with the others though. Chose your pots carefully and be aware they need loads of watering in summer.

8. joyce42

joyce42 Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have Camelia,clematis ,roses ,a vine , pink elderberry(to keep it small) And alovely evergreen mytle,fragrant glossy leaves for flower arranging all in large pots.

9. barb

barb Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I did not ask the question about pots ,but I have pick up some very good tips that I can use in my own garden.
    See you can learn a lot by just browsing this site.Many thanks to you all.
    I am so glad I found you . Barb.