1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

are these lines normal?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by strhythm, Oct 19, 2019.

1. strhythm

strhythm Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    A few weeks ago these dry lines appeared on my panda plant and have increased in number ever since
    I havent found much about them but apparently theyre because of over watering. As I've read on a lot of articles and seen on videos I've just been watering it when the soil is completely dry on top but maybe I just have to wait longer?
    I've also read about them being fron leafminers (?) but although the texture seems similar the pattern of the lines is different so I'm not quite sure about that one. 20191019_162519.jpg 20191019_162529.jpg

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,640
    Not something I've come across, but I dont think it's leaf miner, having said that I think it could be a pest problem of some kind.
    I'd be surprised if overwatering could do that.

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] @strythmn.. It certainly does look like leaf miner I think... There is no real control for them at this time of year.. I would remove the worst affected leaves and then you could try a spray of Neem oil to catch the adults before they lay eggs.. Since the damage is mostly cosmetic, the remedy is to remove the affected leaves. This doesn't just improve the appearance of the plant, it also gets rid of the existing leaf miners before they become adults and lay more eggs. Since the tunnels throughout affected leaves are dead tissue, it does little good to keep them on the plant.