1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Are these squashes or pumpkins? (And how to ripen them?)

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Engelbert, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Engelbert

Engelbert Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    Hi all

These were supposed to be squashes; uchiki kuri I think. But the seeds were from Premier Seeds and we've found quite a lot of late that the seeds in the pack don't match the labels on the pack!

I'm thinking they look quite like pumpkins but they are not round as more traditional pumpkins are. Obviously still quite green too... It's hard to gauge size from photos, so: the three together are each the size of a decent honeydew melon, whilst the one on its own is around the size of a rugby ball.

Can anyone confirm what they are?

And any tips on how best to ripen them (or whether they can be used unripened if it's too late in the year now)?

Many thanks

IMG_20201101_121107179.jpg

IMG_20201101_121122420.jpg

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,931
    Look like marrows to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      Look like 'Mumpkins' or 'Parrows', an open pollinated cross between marrows and pumpkins.

Often happens if seed saving when growing both and not bagging/tying the flowers before and after pollination.

Marrows can turn yellow, but when oldish, and those ones look young, so probably the result of the seeds being the from cross pollination.

Pumpkins and Marrows have different shaped leaves, can you remember which one they resembled?

Premier seeds are a supplier I wouldn't hesitate to recommend. I hope you let them know that things haven't turned out as they should, so they can weed out rogue suppliers and maintain their excellent reputation.

They look unripe, so probably won't store well. Try using one as you would a Marrow.

• Informative Informative x 1
        Last edited: Nov 1, 2020