Are We Going To Be Hit Over The Head By Nanny State?

Discussion in 'The Muppet Show' started by shiney, Jul 15, 2019.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +117,275
    According to reports, most of us are not getting enough sleep and the government are going to treat the problem under the same category as obesity, smoking and drinking too much!

Apparently most people are not getting more than seven hours sleep and it affects our physical and mental health and reduces our life span. They say that apart from the health issues that your life can be shortened by as much as ten years for every hour under seven hours a night/day you sleep! So I'm going to die at least fifty years earlier than I should :old:

To be fair (don't really know why I should bother to be fair :heehee:), they do qualify it a bit by saying that it may not apply to everyone.

How do they plan to get you to sleep more? Give you drugs? Come round and whack you over the head if you wake up early?

I suppose they could try some form of education about spending less time on social media or watching TV or playing on your computer (I'm doing this at 4.30 in the morning! :rolleyespink:). How much is all this going to cost us?

Do you think you don't get enough sleep?
    Does it affect your performance? :whistle:
    Does it affect your mental state?
    Or does your mental state affect your sleep?

I'll kick off with saying that I average about two hours a night and don't sleep during the day. That's all I need and have been doing that quite happily since WWII.

Of course, just reading thisd might send you to sleep :lunapic 130165696578242 5:

2. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,486
    Shiney, are you Superman???:)
    2 hours sleep a night! :noidea:

I prob average 5 hours a day.
    I don’t sleep during the day
    I have gone through periods when I simply could not, seemingly, sleep at all. Yes, this did affect my mental state and performance.

Have to say though, if this report is true then the silly so and so who thought it up is obviously in need of a good night’s sleep

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
      Ratings:
      +31,453
      Get you to count more sheep :biggrin:

I have 7 hours per night but in this hot weather i'm sleeping less, so I need more sheep
      I'm thick any way so it wouldn't affect my performants or mental health

• Like Like x 2
      • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
        Ratings:
        +54,365
        I go to bed around 12:30 ( midnight that is :blue thumb:! ) and am awake by 5am. I do however have times when I can't sleep at all . I do think lack of sleep can be detrimental to your health and general wellbeing though....even if you may think and feel otherwise.

Now that I am not working I don't worry if I can't drop off...( I don't drive !!!) ,that is why I go up later now as to rather than going up earlier and just laying there fretting. I don't take meds unless absolutely necessary.....been off my arthritis ones for years now and prefer to keep my joints oiled so to speak by diet and exercise.
        If however I'm was in paid work and lack of sleep was a problem then I would seek medical advice. It's not just the physical side that suffers but the cognitive side too.

• Like Like x 2