1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Are you happy with the results of your gardening this year ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Webmaster, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I am, I bought what started out looking like a fig twig this year and it now has what looks like 19+ fruits ready for next year :-

[​IMG]

I planted 2 Koelreuteria seeds earlier in the year and they are now like this :-

[​IMG]

I planted a Custard Apple seed, which is now like this :-

[​IMG]

My kiwi which was only 2'6" high when I got it is now :eek: :-

[​IMG]

Peppers are doing great :-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the tomato's this year have a very heavy crop ;) (pics to follow), and I have tried Celeriac this year and that seems to be doing well (again, pics to follow)...... so I am dead chuffed !!!

Anyone else got good crops this year?

Nathan.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,694
    Well done Nathan, it all seems worthwile now.
    Everything is looking good [​IMG]

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Yep pretty satisfied too, all the stuff growing in pots is doing fine, & I am pleased with some unusual seeds I have managed to germinate as well this year. Veg patch has done quite well, but the flower garden has suffered for the 2nd year running. I am going to have to ditch a few plants this year & change them for more drought resistant plants. I water veg a little, but not the lawn or flower beds, even though I would love to. Water is one of many things that are not finenite. Will post a couple of pics later. [​IMG]

4. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Not very happy with the garden this year it has been quite windy,not a good combination with very sandy soil. I try hard to bulk it up with compost and dig it in well but it doesn't seem to have helped this year :( I am very pleased with the greenhouse though every thing is looking spiffing! :D

5. Coralbat

Coralbat Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    As stated in other posts - Lavender beautifull, but grew too big. Sweet peas grew tall and strong, but few flowers.

Honeysuckle grew right to the top of new trellis
    (All new plants , planted beginning of june).
    New turf looking great(laid middle of may). Loads of birds visiting everyday. I'm very happy.

6. em

em Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Tumbling toms doing great, am still trying to find interesting recipes involving tomatoes!!lol
    beans great, carrots prolific, cabbages...........apparently very tasty as caterpillar population will tell you! :rolleyes:

7. Nik

Nik Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I guess most things have progressed this year. In May 04 we bit the bullet and took the Palms and the Gunnera out of their pots and straight into the ground. The Palms have doubled in size, and the Gunnera is still alive. It didn't droop once this summer for lack of water, so its roots must be working. The Lemon had only 6 fruit this year, 14 last year, but it has lots on ready for next year.
    Nik

8. aqua

aqua Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm ecstatic about my garden :D

I've never gardened before, never even really managed to keep a houseplant alive [​IMG] but with the new house complete with yard that just begged for parties in it I thought I would try to grow some things. And with the help of primarily a friend from another board I gave growing from seed a go.

see www.pbase.com/aquasphotos/garden for the results

I'm inundated with tomatoes, the tomatillos are turing a lovely purple, my chillis and peppers are fruiting well

my sweetpeas looked nice but I was away at glasto and didn't cut them so they soon went a bit funny

my clematis is being eaten by some leaf beetle but I squish them :D

I wish I'd grown more flowers, but I know this now and have been collecting seeds in the sales for neat year

I won't be growing 10 tomato plants in a small yard again next year though [​IMG]

sunflowers did really well, have more types for next year too

all in all, I'm a very very happy little aqua [​IMG]

9. maggie

maggie Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    every year I have this picture in my mind what the garden will look like. It never does. Its not looking too bad but although I feed and water the bedding plants, they never seem to spread like other peoples. And as the summer goes on everything starts to look a bit overgrown. Geraniums did well although I only grew them because I thought they were a sure thing not because I particularly like them. Sceanocis (not sure of spelling) looked really good this year so all in all can't complain.

10. Nik

Nik Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Aqua
    Your mystery wild flower looks like Honesty to me. Does it have 2P sized round, flat, semitransparant seed pods on it by now?
    Nik