Armandii on Armandii

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Sheal, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Apple Blossom

Apple Blossom Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,028
    Good Evening Anthony, I have just looked up Niobe and you may be right on this one..... lets see when it opens a little more and I will take another photo to confirm then I can get it labelled up :)

2. Apple Blossom

Ratings:
    +3,028
    Hi Armandii, nope I ain't done anything with it other than tell its growth to go here and there and trained it to go where I want it to go... if you know what I mean. Its position is in the sunniest spot in the garden just behind the fish pond on the trellis, it is sheltered from the wind by the greenhouse so thought it would have been a good spot..... however........... I have it growing in a pot :yikes::yikes: could this be the problem??

3. Apple Blossom

Ratings:
    +3,028
    Actually.... looking at the photo.... as its too dark to go out now..... something seems to be eating the leaves of Niobe and one looks like a footprint on the leaf !!! Will have to investigate that in the light of the day!

• Informative Informative x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,834

Well, Apple Blossom,, in my humble opinion..........
      [​IMG]

The Armandii Group Clematis is quite a sturdy and spreading one so needs a fairly good root growth to supply it's needs, so I don't think a pot is suitable for it to flower properly. There are some Clematis that will grow reasonably well in a pot but the Armandii varieties are not one of them.
      So, as the time is right I would take it gently out of the pot and plant it in the soil as deeply as you can, as one of the things I have discovered in growing Clematis is that they appreciate being planted deep.

• Like Like x 1
        Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
      • Apple Blossom

Ratings:
        +3,028
        Well @ARMANDII, I have a little problem there...... as I can't move it at the moment and I can't put it into the ground as it is standing on tiles behind the fish pond. So until my next phase is completed I will have to leave it where it is... the pot is a large deep pot... so hopefully it will be ok for the time being and will have to move it next year but thank you for all the information which I have taken on board and I will feed it as stated in February onwards to see what happens :)

• Like Like x 1