Artificial lawn - back to grass

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by RDP, Jul 22, 2022.

1. RDP

RDP Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I have a flat lawn of around 110sqm. Looking to have the astro lifted and then sand/grit taken out, replaced with top soil and laid to lawn. A couple of questions though:

1. Had one company quote £8k+ as they had to take out 6 inches (they worked out 46 tonnes) of sand and replace with 46 tonnes of topsoil. This was extreme and so I've put that quote to one side.

2. Have spoken to a couple of other turf providers who review well. They seem to think we'll need less than 6 inches taking out and will quote over the coming days.

3. Anyone know what one can do with 110sqm of reasonable quality artificial lawn? In good condition - is there a market for it?

Is 3 inches (with a mix of gritty sand / compost mixed in) going to be enough to lay a lawn on?

2. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,371
    minimum at least 4 inch of good soil but 6 inch + is more ideal . it sounds a awful lot of soil 46 ton . You can get awa with poor soil with certain types of grass like fescue don't require rich soil but dwarf rye is quite a heavy feeder for example .

What under the 3 inch of gritty sand compost mix ?

3. RDP

RDP Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Not sure if the image will work but just dug down with a standard trowel. It's sand and stones with soil (quite decent quality from the feel) after about 3-4 inches.

If image doesn't work you can see here... The dark layer is soil covered with a bit of sand from the quick hole i dug...

Edit: it won't let me post a picture yet!

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +45,612
    I was going to suggest lifting a section to see what's underneath, by your description you may get away with deep rotovation, ie mix the lower stuff with the surface sand.

Not sure if there is a market for used astroturf, I would search on ebay to see what other sellers have actually sold it for, ie completed listings.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • JWK

Ratings:
      +45,612
      I had topsoil delivered recently and it's mostly sand ! I'm sure it varies but just warning you might want to check a sample first if you go down the route of buying some.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • RDP

RDP Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +3
        Spoke to another chap who is coming to take a look tomorrow. He's suggesting taking about 3 inches out and mixing whatever is left with some compost. Then adding topsoil and then turf. He's saying around £1200 which is a bit more palatable than £8k!

• Like Like x 1
        • JWK

Ratings:
          +45,612
          That doesn't sound too bad. 3" taken over 110 square m is about 10 tons, still a substantial amount and would fill two skips (unless I got my maths wrong). Then bringing in the same amount of topsoil plus turf plus labour.

• Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +8,371
          As JWk has mentioned you could rotavate the top bits in if need be. Personally I am not a fan at all of using compost on making a base for lawns its can make the lawn uneven / spongy when it breaks down and doesn't compact like top soil , so I'd just use good quality top soil .

He may of under cut himself with that quote so expect it may raise . 2 skips / 8 yarders ( 8 yards hold 8 ton )£220 ish each = £440 . Turf £2.50 to £3 a roll if your luck = £330+ . Top soil £50 -60 ton and add on labour .

• Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
          Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
          Ratings:
          +6,776
          I know where you can get skips.

[​IMG]

On the main road, outside our village, today.

• Funny Funny x 1
          • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
            +609
            Hi you can always advertise if any one wonts used artificial grass there are many who take it off your hands either give it away or offer it reasonable price
            www.ilovefreegle.orgFreegle - Don't throw it away, give it away!
            Give and get stuff for free in your local community. Don't just recycle - reuse, freecycle and freegle
            Otherwise i dont know who buys artificial used grass sorry

• Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +2,269
            If it's a sand and grit mix down to 3 inches then soil, I'd just seed it. Yeah I know the 'official' advice, but I've seen it work well. As long as you can keep it moist and fed, grass will thrive in that environment. It's free draining so it won't fill up with moss and it won't form a 'pan' (an impermeable crust like you get on clay) and it won't sink.

It may need a bit of additional care for a few years, with the occasional top dressing with a decent compost to boost its moisture retention, but really that's part of looking after any lawn anyway.

That company that quoted 8k, well I'll do it for half the price, and I'll make nearly 4k profit :-D