1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Artificial Trees and their "planting"

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by richard6298, Jun 1, 2020.

1. richard6298

richard6298 Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Hi. I have just about finished de-crudding my front garden, I've taken out all of the crud left there by the house builders. I'm at the stage where I'm ready to re-lay the topsoil onto a bed of what looks like brown sandy soil, rich in stones. The topsoil (which is more like a black colour) will be 20cm or 8 inches deep.

I'm wanting to buy at least one pair of artificial topiary trees to "plant" in the garden. I'm hoping to source ones that are 5 or 6 foot tall (ideally). What I am concerned about is the security of the trees. It would be good I think, if the trees could be fastened down in some way. And on that score, I am wondering if, before I re-lay the topsoil, whether it would be sensible to install on top of the brown soil, a stainless steel, 30cm -ish square or 30cm diameter round tube acting as a sort of "receptacle" where the trees would go. The topsoil would then be re-layed around these "receptacles" setting them into the topsoil layer. I'd then have to figure out how to attach the tree to that receptacle, that tube in the ground.

I'm not sure whether there is a system that has been designed that prevents someone "uprooting" an artificial tree and running off with it. Anyhow, comments appreciated. Thank you.

2. flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
    Ratings:
    +1,685
    I'd be more concerned with how they react to sunlight after a couple of years, rather than some one nicking 'em!.
    Maybe I'm biased as I absotively loathe pretend plants.....sorry

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • richard6298

richard6298 Gardener

Ratings:
      +6
      Hi. What tempts me to "plant" artificial grass and these two artificial topiary trees is the low maintenance thing. However, I do intend to plant living plants as well. I particularly enjoy those early bloomers such as snowdrops, crocuses and daffodils. I have a spot for them which is one long patch of ground 60cm wide by about 8m long. I'll be asking questions about their planting in another post, unless I see some instructions.

• Cuttings

Cuttings Super Gardener

Horticulturalist
      Ratings:
      +1,200
      Artificial plants, FFFFFFFF

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,331
        @richard6298
        Have a look at what is available for securing garden statues, birdbaths and urns to the ground. Generally some kind of ground anchor in a concrete block.

• Like Like x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,990
          What do the manufacturers suggest?
          I cant think anyone will be running off with them.:biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 3
          • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +46,160
            Well you've obviously made your mind up but .... I've never seen a good looking artificial tree. At my last office they spent an awful amount of money replacing natural looking shaped holly trees with artificial which looked bleak and dreadful. They look too uniform and exactly the same all year round when they shouldn't. The overall look was tacky and I'm being kind.

I can understand artificial grass for small difficult shady areas with high usage. It still needs maintenance though, weed seeds blow in and need to be removed, leaves need sweeping/blowing off just the same as a real lawn.

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1