1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Artmisia variegata help!!!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by minki, Mar 4, 2014.

1. minki

minki Novice Gardener

Research Scientist
    Ratings:
    +367
    Hi all,
    I bought Atimisia variegata (Oriental Limelight Mugwort, Latin: Artemisia vulgaris ) plant last year because the foliage looked very pretty. I didnt think of it too much and planted it in border with other plants growing around it. this weekend I noticed that it has started to spread, new shoots are coming out quite far from where I planted it (almost 12-20 inches). So i decided to do some online research. One of the blogs mention that
    "The woody roots of this plant secrete a certain chemical that inhibits the growth of other plants around it. This is a unique weed-like characteristic of the Artemisia herb.”
    has anyone got an experience with Artmisia? can you suggest should I keep it in border or move it to container? I do not want my other plants to die out. I have a new garden and most of the plants were put in not more than 6 months ago so they may be still in the process of establishing themselves.. Right now artimisia is growing next to astillbe, a grape vine (who is still asleep ) and iris.

one more question, if i plant it in container can you suggest a companion plant I can put in to add some color to the container.

thanks in advance

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    I have Wormwood - Artemisa Absintheum at the back of a border.. This one grows very tall.. It does prevent weeds & other plants from growing near it.. A foible of Artemisias I think.. I do struggle to keep mine in check.. I do a kind of root prune to it.. I have an area around it, about a 12" circle where I keep running the spade down to chop the roots & that keeps it in pretty good check..

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,089
      Marley's plan sounds good. If you chop off any promising pieces in the process you could pot them up.

• Like Like x 1
      • minki

minki Novice Gardener

Research Scientist
        Ratings:
        +367
        thankyou both. my plant is just few inches tall and wide, and i have small borders, so i am thinking better to just pick it up.

• Like Like x 1
        • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
          Ratings:
          +14,125
          You could try it in a container perhaps like we do mint if it is a small plant..