1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

As inspired by the "Your Hobbies" request - Photography and propagating plants.

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Stuart Fawcett, May 14, 2021.

1. Stuart Fawcett

Stuart Fawcett Gardener

IT
    Ratings:
    +104
    Hi All, New member here - the site asked me to share hobbies - well Gardening Obvs. but also photography. Heck growing something great and then photographing it go hand in hand don't they? I like to normally post my plant images over at ePhotozine but now i can post here too :)
    This winter seemed to go on for ever so i did a different flower each day project for January and February - hard months to find flowers - but it made me think of what might cheer me up next year - primulas and crocus are there for certain. But when you really look there can be loads. - Winter Honeysuckle is on my wish list to acquire this year too.
    I also like growing new plant from cuttings/runners etc. Its nice to then be able to find new homes for stuff you like.

• Like Like x 5
    • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
      Ratings:
      +89,844
      • Like Like x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,134
        • Like Like x 1
        • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +4,288
          Welcome Stuart and +1 for Lonicera fragrantissima, one of my favourite shrubs, wonderfully scented and a great source of nectar early in the year for pollinators when not much else is around for them! :blue thumb:

Nick

• Like Like x 1
          • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
            Ratings:
            +21,323
            As well as L fragrantissima there are a number of other winter flowering honeysuckle worth considering including L purpusii, L elisae and L standishii all are pretty hardy and have scented flowers early in the year.

• Informative Informative x 2
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Nikolaos

Nikolaos Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +4,288
              Wish I had any room left for them after planting fragrantissima, Nigel! :heehee: Didn't realise quite how large it would grow when I planted it! :yikes:

Edit: They all seem quite variable in their eventual size, that's very interesting as I'd never compared all the winter-flowering species. I'm wondering if they all grow largest in clay soils now as mine is so large. :dunno:

Nick

• Like Like x 2
                Last edited: May 23, 2021
              • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                Ratings:
                +118,460
                Don't forget winter flowering heathers :blue thumb: They're a lifeline for solitary bees.

Late winter/early spring:- Kojo No Mai, and Sophora are quite spectacular. :) Pulmonaria usually start flowering in Feb and are also loved by bees.

• Like Like x 1
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                  +12,667
                  I have a tangent to that, taking photos of [a tour of] my garden every week or two.

Very cathartic to see the progress that plants make, over the years.

My mates spend as much as I do on my garden on ... Golf. All they have to show for that is a deteriorating handicap, as they get older. Whereas I have forever improving and maturing plants ... and the photographic evidence to remind me of the fruits of my labours.

I'm thinking of getting a drone. Never thought of a good reason to own one, although programming a "course" for it to fly and then getting it to fly that regularly might give me a hoody of stiching together bits from different seasons to get a "best of" video at the end ...

The thing that leaked my interested was a video during lockdown on NGS website where, as a substitute for actually being able to visit a garden, the owners posted videos. One had a drone flying through/along the border, just above plant height, which is a view * perspective you cannot get from the path / border-edge

• Funny Funny x 1
                  • Stuart Fawcett

Stuart Fawcett Gardener

IT
                    Ratings:
                    +104
                    Wow Kojo No Mai looks like a great shrub that stays small - thanks. I've tried heathers before but they get lost in the summer growth of everything else.
                    I've now ordered a Lonicera fragrantissima to add to my winter flowering collection. I'm keeping an eye out for good value versions of everything else. thanks.
                    Meanwhile this forever rain is lushing up everything else.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1