Ash and lawns

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by TheMadHedger, May 25, 2020.

1. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Some weeks ago I seeded a new lawn. A few weeks prior to doing that I had a large bonfire roughly in the middle of the same area.

I've now noticed that the new grass where the bonfire was is particularly lush, long and dense, presumably because of the ash in the soil? (I didn't pick up the old ash, I raked it around and into the soil and leveled it prior to seeding).

The bonfire mostly consisted of a large amount of brambles and an old rotting door.

Presumably it's the ash of the brambles which has caused the grass to grow so well in that area.

In which case, what nutrients are benefiting the grass so much and can I apply some of whatever it is to the areas where there was no ash and the grass is thinner?

2. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
  3. flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
    Ratings:
    +1,542
    Wood ash is good for potassium and trace elements, the former helping build up a plants cells. Of course, this can then assist strong growth. It sounds like your lawn could do with an ash tonic. A light scattering is all you'll need.
    Another thing, ash is alkaline, it can reduce acidity in the soil over time.....not a problem here on my solid chalk!

4. TheMadHedger

TheMadHedger Gardener

Ratings:
    +226