1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Ashamed to be English

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by pip, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
    +226
    Good evening to you all

I have just sat through most of the news and I am sad to say that I am thoroughly ashamed to be english, not British, english. How can news story number one show an 11/12 year old child in Africa with no home or food and then we are shown images of an english brat of the same age kicking in a shop window because he wants a plasma tv.

Mr Cameron has said that he does not want Britain to be a country were people are terrified to walk down the street and this kind of behaviour will not be tolerated. Where has he been for the past 15 years when the yob culture has ruled the streets, people daren't challenge these thugs for fear of injury or, unfortunately in some cases, death. Broken Britain,no, greedy, spoilt, opportunist Britain,yes.

• Like Like x 8
    • kyleleonard

kyleleonard Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +950
      Who's to say they're all 'English brats'? That's just as bad as people claiming it's only black kids doing it.

• Like Like x 4
      • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,593
        having spent most of my life in Africa, and the last 11 in the UK, I can assure you that you need to be proud to be English/British

you will only realize this when you live elsewhere

• Like Like x 4
        • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
          Ratings:
          +50,575
          I agree with you pip (I am British and not English). I have on several occasions had comments made about where I now live, but it has always been the British involved in the incidents. I feel I live in a very safe and secure country, although some think of it as third world ... it is anything but that. Certain elements of England have become worse than third world ... it appears to have returned to barbarism ... certainly not something we see here.

• ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,729
          Yes, it does seem to be a particularly English disease, doesn't it? Scotland, Wales and Ireland aren't without problems but they still have an identifiable culture. I don't believe we do, on the whole, unless you count a sort of skanks-rule-ok one.

Unfortunately I don't believe that anyone has the stomach even to begin to sort things out. In my area there are a significant number of families which haven't worked for several generations. I don't buy the idea that they're all desperate to get jobs, either. Whenever we hear a politician claiming that he wants to 'help' the underclass into work my household erupts into laughter. Our minds immediately run to a house up the road which is known locally as 'Scrotes' Alley'. It is brimming with adolescent parents nursing babies with one hand and bottles of beer with the other. Every day is party day, because there is nothing whatever to get up for the next day. The children grow up frighteningly quickly and are pretty much fully formed louts before they leave primary school. There is no educational outreach programme known to man which is every going to change things.

There are many people around here who are genuinely seeking work and hate doing nothing, but frankly there is also a hard core of skanks out there who want to work about as much as they want a dose of anthrax. They are pretty much untouchable, because they have offspring when they are still children themselves, knowing that they will then be housed and fed. I wouldn't want to live as they do, but they don't much care about their surroundings as long as they have mobiles, trainers and regular all-you-can-drink jollies. In fact, when they are given new, clean 'social' housing, many of them trash it within weeks. They seem to like squalor and are not happy until the front garden is bursting with stinking bin bags and broken furniture.

If there is one good thing about all this, it is at least the partial death of political correctness. People are beginning to say out loud what they have thought for some time. I'm not trying to suggest that every looter is a benefit scrounger - I'm sure that's not the case. I do think, however, that financial support should not be given without a contract, which should state clearly that the money is forfeit if those who receive it break the law or make the lives of others an out and out misery.

The trouble is, of course, that this would mean having hungry, desperate people living on the street with unfed children in tow. It's not a great prospect.

I suppose this is a very old problem. The Romans had to placate their underclass with bread and circuses. It's just that these days the plebs want designer trainers, iphones and holidays on the Costas to go with their bread.

• Like Like x 6
          • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
            Ratings:
            +6,654
            Remember that series on tv a few years ago based on 1940/50's National Service....Bad Lad's Army...

I'd make it real or even bring back for offenders and put the lot of them through it......there were so called 'Hard' boys went on that series and within days they were crying for mummy...

The extreme disipline obviously worked as I remember several of them seeing how they done wrong and even signing up to the forces for real...

• Like Like x 2
            • kyleleonard

Ratings:
              +950
              British isn't a nationality, so God knows what you're going on about.

And life in Portugal isn't comparable to living in England, and that's a fact.

When all's said and done, England/UK is the only country in Europe worth living in.

• Like Like x 3
              • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                Ratings:
                +85,502
                Well I am definitely English, for me the word British could mean I'm from almost anywhere in the world these days.

If people can be Welsh, Scottish or Irish, I see no reason to not be English.

If you had entitled this thread, Ashamed to be British, Pip, I think I might have gone along with you.

• Like Like x 4
                • kyleleonard

Ratings:
                  +950
                  Since 2005, there have been riots in; France, Spain, Hungary, Russia, Ireland, N.Ireland, Serbia, Greece & Rangers fans rioting in Manchester covers Scotland.

So claiming this to be 'an English disease' is just ridiculous.

• Like Like x 6
                  • Paladin

Paladin Gardening...A work of Heart

Retired but still grubbing the soil.
                    Ratings:
                    +770
                    Ashamed to be English?...Not I:paladin:

The only shame is on the scum rioters.:catapult:

• Like Like x 10
                    • roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +6,934
                      Of course this is a bit of a down time for us and what has gone on is a disgrace......but I wouldn't swap England for the world.
                      Not even Portugal.:)

• Like Like x 3
                      • pete

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +85,502
                        I dont know anything about living in other countries, I've never done that so cant comment, but I 'm thinking the main point here is the old story of, Are you British or are you English?

Pip said, not ashamed to be British, but ashamed to be English, I think that needs explaining a bit more Pip.:)

• Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
                        Ratings:
                        +50,575

I 'assume' you are directing this at me kyleleonard.

I was born in Wales of Welsh/Irish/Scottish parentage. My father was actually born in Burma ... shall we go down this road now ...

Your other comments are your personal opinions and we all have them.

• Like Like x 1
                        • pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
                          +226
                          I don't think that is aimed at rioting being an 'English disease' more the 'I want that, I want it now and I don't care how I get it' is an English disease. That makes me ashamed to be English pete.

• Like Like x 1
                          • pete

Retired
                            Ratings:
                            +85,502
                            Pip, I think you will find that applies to much of the developed world, certainly here in the UK and the US and probably a lot of other western countries.

Greed is very common, and exists in many forms.

What is going on now though is criminal.

• Like Like x 2
                            Thread Status:
                            Not open for further replies.