1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Ask longk

Discussion in 'Gardeners Corner Question Time' started by longk, Dec 14, 2011.

1. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    1. How did you come to join Gardeners Corner?
    2. Name the countries or counties you have lived in?
    3. Describe the type of work you do.?
    4. Describe how you first got into gardening ?
    5. What would be your dream type of garden and do you think you will ever be able to achieve it?
    6. Have you any particular favourites in celebrity gardeners, flowers, shrubs and/or vegetables?
    7. Have you ever entered any of your plants into shows?
    8. If you had a garden created in your memory, what plants do you think would most adequately sum up you and your life?

1; I googled Geranium sinense!!
    2; Australia (Sydney) & Amsterdam.
    3; Mechanic
    4; When I was younger, my father and grandfather encouraged me. Then after the "growing up" break I met Sue which re-ignited the bug.
    5; A great big humid glasshouse stuffed full of exotics - not a hope in hell unless I win the lottery!
    6; A few fave plants: the ones that I've grown/grow - Tacca, Iris japonica, Lobelias cardinalis and laxiflora, Scadoxus multiflorus, Tricyrtis, Habenaria radiatta and Plumbago. The ones that I would love to grow - Habenaria medusae, Strogylodon macrobotrys and Strelitzia nicolai.
    7; No.
    8; Orchids - challenging at times, but worth the effort.............

• Like Like x 3
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Now how did I miss that post Lonk?

Nice one:blue thumb:

• PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +4,015
      Hi Keith - only just seen this

What facilities do you have for overwintering plants - it seems it's really the major problem with exotics and unusual stuff. And how do you prioritise what to overwinter and what to not? :biggrin:

And can you tell us something about your photography - you pictures are absolutely beautiful. How do you do portraits on a black background? They look stunning that way.

• Like Like x 1
      • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +23,089
        You can't be expected to see everything can you!!!!!

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +23,089

Just the conservatory and garage here, but the new place will have g/house shed and cellar (grow room).
        It's always a tough choice, but this year was harder as the garage was pretty full with my brothers stuff after his divorce. I just go with my heart and hang the recriminations! So the bigger stuff (Erythrina, Sollya's, Clianthus and Abutilons) had to take their chances. Certain things are a no brainer - the Cantua and my seed grown Strelitzia were always coming in. Likewise the Metrosideros, Sutherlandia and Clerodendrum ugandense. I took a cutting from the Tibouchina which saved some space.

a] take photos at night
        b] use a black background
        c] place the subject in full sun against a background in shade. Fastest shutter speed, lowest exposure, shortest depth of focus and flash on (but turned down to its lowest setting).

The recycle bin sees many more than you guys do!!!!

• Like Like x 2
        • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +4,015
          Thanks Keith - I will have to work on my photography. Results like yours would be really worth striving for.

• Like Like x 1
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +23,089
            Thanks PeterS!
            Costs nothing with digital to try different settings - here are two shots. Tibouchina urvilleana is one of those colours that is real booger to capture. I found that using the flash in broad daylight is the best way. Taken just after 4pm.
            DSC_1601.JPG

Plumbago taken at 9am, again with flash. Not a complete blackout of the background, but enough to be effective.
            DSC_1367.JPG

• Like Like x 2
            • PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +4,015
              Lovely Keith. I am desperately waiting now for something to photograph.

• longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +23,089
              The winter drought is almost over for me - the Pleiones are about to burst and my Salvia discolor is loaded with buds too.

• Like Like x 1