1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Asparagus Advice please

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by lowrider69, Jul 23, 2018.

1. lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
    Ratings:
    +174
    Hi Guys could I get some Asparagus Advice please?
    I planted these from seed and when big enough put them in a bed I saved for them,
    I had noticed a lot of them are falling over should I prop them up with sticks?

not knowing very much about growing Asparagus do I have too many in there?
    do they need to be cut back in winter of just let them get bushy?

any advice at all as to looking after them would be great.

I do know I will be waiting 3 years or more but its a lovely looking plant so wanted to watch them grow to full grown.

• Like Like x 1
    • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,125
      @lowrider69 i would just let them go unless they are being eaten.. In the Autumn when they have died down and turned brown, cut the tops off.. Then next spring just let them grow away all summer and again when brown cut down again.. Same the following year.. Then maybe on your third year you can have a light picking.. Maybe not though see how many spears you get in the next two years,,

I water every day in this weather, just don’t let them dry out.. I also mulch mine in winter as well... They are hungry plants..
      These are in their second year to me but I bought roots in.. I am growing them in a keyhole garden in my tunnel.. underplanted with courgettes.!
      [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
      • lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
        Ratings:
        +174
        blimey if they grow that big I dowt I would see the spears underneath lol
        they do get a watering Dailey via the sprinkler I have for the rest of my veg,
        I have a real bumper crop of yellow courgettes coming in now really pleased how they have come on
        just been out in the patch checking for eggs on my sprouts as there being eaten alive at the moment but there are small spouts showing now

• Like Like x 1
        • Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Hello @Marley Farley you've got a good show there...you definitely know how to grow your stuff ;)

• Like Like x 1