1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Asparagus Question

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Paul Blackburn, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    In May I bought two strips of Asparagus plants basically plug plants 6 per tray and I planted them in a raised bed.They were only about 6" high but are now growing well but not sure what do do as regards cutting them down have had different answers some say leave them and cut them down next year and some say cut them down this year.They are about 9" high and quite bushy though on some of them there appears to be a main stem growing.Any advice appreciated.

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Well not sure as I didn't know they were sold in plugs, so I would imagine they have to grown on yet, but I bought Asparagus roots 2 years ago.. You leave them till they die back for the first two years and cut down late Autumn.. They like deep rich beds with plenty of organic matter and plenty of water in the first two years but no picking to eat as they are very slow to establish a good root system..
    I am looking forward to my first picking next year

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,241
      MF's spot on :) Leave your plants to make lots of fern. It'll turn yellow/brown in autumn...that's when you cut it down to ground level. Same again next year. Pick the young shoots lightly in the 3rd year, from then on pick as much as you like between March and June/July, but once you've finished picking it, always leave the ferns to yellow before cutting down.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
        +52
        My asparagus is now in it's 3rd year so when would I expect to see the first sign of the new shoots.I cut them down to just above ground level in October.

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +14,241
        When the spears poke up in the Spring (exactly when depends on your area/climate), you can take a stem or two from each plant. (Before the pointy end starts opening out). If the plants are big and strong, you can do it again this year.
        That will probably be it for 2020, but as long as the fern has been allowed to die back naturally, the crowns should be well-developped enough to cut spears right through Spring 2021, as and when they push up.

• Like Like x 1