1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Asparagus

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Ambersparkle, Apr 21, 2005.

1. Ambersparkle

Ambersparkle Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Help!!!!! I have just bought some Asparagus corms on ebay, and have not the faintest idea how to grow them. I remember years ago, somebody showing me their husband,s raised beds, of it, so must it have raised beds, and what else? What sort of soil is it best in, and I expect not, but could I grow it in large tubs? any ideas, thank you, Tina C.

2. Toptaff

Toptaff Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Tina,
    No,I don't think it'll do well in tubs if you want spears to eat.
    The soil types not nearly as important as good drainage,which is why the beds are raised up.
    Ideally you want a 1'wide 8" deep (ish) trench with a mound running it's length that's about 3" high in the middle then you lay the asparagus plants on top & spread the roots over the mound. Then cover with 2"-3" of sifted soil. You gradually fill the trench up as the plants grow.
    You're very unlikely to get a crop for a year or two & the ferny foliage should be cut back once it's turned yellow,to leave a stump 1"-"" above the surface to prevent the crown rotting.
    They're quite greedy so ideally a goodly dollop of manure or compost in the trench before planting would be good.
    Hope that helps a bit!

3. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    As a bonus the ferny foliage looks great among vases of flowers or displays..unless the little blighters asparagus beetles have been stripping it!

where do they come from? who tells these pests that you have never had before 'Hey there's a new bed of asparagus 4 houses down if you want some' :mad:

4. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Asparagus need very sandy soil and lots of brit. summer SUN ....raised.. if possibe to keep drier.. ...just keep Peacocks away , they love the tips ...like my hops ( miniature Asparagus ) I planted few years ago,and never came up next, well they did ..till one day saw Pedro taking all the new shoots daily, since then behind 3ft chick wire, and now masses of wind breaks 60 ft long fence.
    Sorry gone away from subject, but lived in Bucks as an au-pair many years ago and saw them grown here in UK . Was amazed ! Thought then, they could only been grown in Italy. Looks better climate moved up North ever since, lol keep trying !