1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Attractive Low Maintenance Planters?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by The Guv., Mar 24, 2010.

1. The Guv.

The Guv. Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there, I'm trying to sort out some planters in a communal garden and access areas, nothings there at the moment as it's a newish building and has just had a lawn put in.

I was thinking about some evergreen (ivy, ornamental grasses and conifers?) and colourful flowers (I've been told that bulbs are the way forward?) that require low maintenance would be ideal; but I don't really know where to start!

We have 5 wooden planters measuring about 1,000mm by 2,000mm and about 500mm deep.

Any advise greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] Guv.. I would go for dwarf Hebes rather than conifers.. Aubretia for early colour, summer flowering bulbs, grasses as there are so many beauties to choose from.. Euphorbias & sempervivums, a huge choice with the last three adding great colour all year round.. Leaving room to plant some spring bulbs in the Autum.. :thumb: Well that is my idea of low maintenance tubs.. Others will have more ideas I am sure.. :thumb:

3. The Guv.

The Guv. Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick reply and warm welcome.

With flowers from bulbs, do they just keep coming up year after year? Providing they're watered of course!

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Nice to see you back Guv.. Yes the bulbs will come again each year without lifting except Tulips..! :wink: Check on the packs, they usually say if they have to be lifted for a dormant period, but Tulips are the only ones that sring to mind at present.. :thumb: