1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Aubretia

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Dougy, May 20, 2012.

1. Dougy

Dougy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all, is it ok to cut back aubretia, and by how much, as the plants I have in my garden are looking a bit tired as you can see in photo? Thanx, Doug. SAM_0105.jpg

2. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Doug...i just get the shears to mine and cut back to a couple of inches...it worked for me but best see what others say first as i was just guessing:dbgrtmb:

3. westwales

westwales Gardener

10 miles from the coast in the rainy west
    Ratings:
    +598
    When mine starts to look scruffy I cut it back to where it's still just green. I always think I've been too drastic but so far it's always worked and the plant comes back looking young and beautiful - pity it's not so simple for ourselves!

4. gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
    +1,663
    I have a patch of Aubretia that has been in the same place for more than 20 years.
    Each year I give it a haircut after its main flowering (not as severely as Lolimac's) and chop it into a roughly circular shape (about 18" diameter).
    It gives some additional flowering later, but a bit sparce.
    Each year it throws up a great display about 3' diameter. At this time it's starting to fall away and will look bedraggled in a couple of weeks, so the treatment will start again
    Dwarf Pink Azalea.jpg You can just see it behind the dwarf Azalea (last week just after the rain)
    A.jpg This is today, as a result of last weeks rain. In need of the annual haircut and trim.

• Like Like x 1