1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

auto vent help ?

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by Resonate, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Resonate

Resonate Gardener

Ratings:
    +49
    Hi all,

I am looking to buy one of these and been looking at different ones and the prices,
    i just wanted to ask whats the most common one as i dont need an industrial strentgh one, just one that fits an 8X6 GH.

Thanks all
    Res

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,642
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
      Ratings:
      +3,035
      It's pretty basic and simple technology in all of them and for an 8x6 you don't need anything over-engineered. Go for a cheap one.
      I picked up two for a fiver at our local car boot about ten years ago and they are still working fine.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      Bayliss is the main name in auto-vents.

Not sure why a small greenhouse should only warrant a cheap vent opener? My thinking is that each vent is a 2'-square sheet of glass and a bit of frame, whatever size the greenhouse is, but maybe I have missed something?

I'd go for one that opens the maximum amount for the least temperature rise - it won't be much use if it only opens an inch on a really sunny day! but they may all be much-of-a-muchness

I suspect that the scissor ones open further, faster, but I have no personal experience.

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
      Ratings:
      +7,281
      Mine was just a standard baylis cheapo, However it did not fit the greenhouse frame
      I had to modify it, basically add a wooden strut to the greenhouse frame deep enough to attach the vent unit to (very easy two bolts and a bit of wood) it works as it should, and twenty pounds cheaper than the actual one recommended for the greenhouse

Jack McHammocklashing

• Like Like x 1
      • Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
        +65
        I have a Bayliss one, it's been in the 6x8 greenhouse for 6-7 years and last year I had to replace the cylinder, which was quite expensive, about £16, but well worth the cost yearly! It works very well.

• Like Like x 1
        • Resonate

Resonate Gardener

Ratings:
          +49
          thank you all for you time in responding,

I have purchased the Bayliss XL one, and yes Liz i was reading the comments about them on Amazon and someone said how much the replacement cylinder was, and i thought its nearer to buying a new one:hate-shocked:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
          +12,667